Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Mid August

christie_sw_mo
11 years ago

What's everyone been up to?

I've been enjoying the cool weather and especially enjoying not having to water. I sure needed the break. It's freed up some time for me to get some other yard work done.

I have a big patch of bronze fennel that I planted for the swallowtails that was almost completely dried up. I cut most of it back to the ground because it looked so weedy and I didn't want it to go to seed. I made that mistake before. I need to get rid of about 3/4 of it. There would still be plenty for the swallowtails.

I cut back some poke that was getting ripe berries on it too. I didn't put any kind of brush killer on the cut stalks though so it will be back. I'm not convinced that brush killer gets rid of that stuff anyway. It sure is tough.

It looks like October in my yard because there's so many brown leaves on the ground under my trees and shrubs from the drought. My sycamore tree dropped the most. My tulip tree dropped a lot too. I'm think they'll survive but they're definitely stressed.

My yard is starting to green up again but there are more green WEEDS than green grass. It's pretty sad. No lawn awards for me.

I have some potted perennials I need to plant out and the forecast looks pretty cool except for today. If it really rains tomorrow like they say, I think I'll start planting.

Comments (12)

• gldno1
    11 years ago

Christie, I have been doing some premature clean up too. Most things were just tall dried stalks and I got tired of looking at them.

I tried diesel on the poke stalks and that didn't work either. I think I will brush on some Glyphosphate today when I cut them once again.

I am still having to water.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I got more rain that you that last time around Glenda. I have watered a few things but feel like I'm on vacation compared to a couple weeks ago.
    The forecast still says 60 percent chance of rain today but the radar doesn't look very promising yet.

I have two butterfly bushes and neither of them bloomed very well this summer. They have mostly spent blooms on them now and look like giant weeds. I'd like to cut those back but I'm kind of afraid to this time of year.

My verbena bonariensis looks awful. I have cut some of those back but should cut them all back. I have too many. They reseed heavily. I did some deadheading but not nearly enough this year. I'm sure I'll get a lot of new seedlings next spring.
    I may have a bjillion rose campion seedlings too since I didn't get around to deadheading those.

• helenh
    11 years ago

My yard looks bad. I just have enough grass to mow. The tire is flat and the mower is out of gas. When was the last time I used it? It is very humid. I may wait until we get cooler weather. I am afraid to count on the rain they are forecasting because I get disappointed. It is best not to check the radar all day every few minutes like I do.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I got 3/4 inch, wind and a little hail but no damage. The dogs had to come in again. The mower has gas but a broken valve stem on the tire so I am working on that. Yesterday was so humid and hot I couldn't take it but today is beautiful.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not a drop in my rain gauge. I heard thunder a few times and it was really dark to the south. So close. : ( My planting mood is over again for awhile. Mid eighties is still kind of hot for planting new stuff or moving plants around isn't it?

We have to air up one of the tires on our riding mower every time we get it out but we have a little electric pump and it isn't much trouble. We've gotten our money's worth out of that thing many times over. Will you have to get a new tire Helen?

• helenh
    11 years ago

I have to get the wheel off or the tire off the rim. That is my hurdle. I don't care if I have to buy a new tire that will be the easy part. I am a terrible mechanic.

At least there are no copperheads under it.

I had a riding lawn mower before that wouldn't run and I couldn't get the battery out. I had used rusty bolts and they would not come off. Also I think I was airing up the tires on that one too and when they get real flat the tire comes off the rim. Anyway I had been messing with it a lot and when I was hammering or sawing of something a copper head crawled out from underneath it.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Helen - It's a wonder you haven't been bitten. How many times do you think you've seen copperheads on your place? I've never seen one on our property. Never want to either. I still haven't mowed and you really can't tell except for the two green stripes coming from our septic tank.
    I was just thinking today that your sister Peggy hasn't posted for a long time Helen. I hope she's doing ok. Tell her to come say hi.

I've had the hose running since early this morning. I decided to water my shrubs deeply since I hadn't done that since before our last rain. All evidence of our last shower is long gone and everything is as dry as before. The only thing that looks good is my big patch of zinnias and some celosia. I planted both for butterflies but the celosia is drawing far more wasps than butterflies. I can't get near it.

• peggiewho
    11 years ago

Here I am! I am obsessive and just obsessing over other hobbies this time of year. We had a week of *100+ weather here in the big valley. I have everything on drip or I would have no flowers at all. I hear the water groan on but don't do much out there. Visitors compliment the garden but I am waiting for cooler weather. A flower in this sun with wet roots is not all that happy. We went to an investment seminar in the Bay Area and I had a chance to go by Half Moon Bay Nursery and buy some more annuals. Maybe they need to live inside with me, better check them. I am obsessing about stocks now. Low volume in the wrong time of year but I have been buying anyway. We joined a Meet Up investment club. Meet Up is all over on all sorts of interests and I hope to find a gardening one.
    I have been having an argument with a 'French Pekinese' (Peppy La Pew). He is so beautiful but digs under the fence and gets into my compost pile. I thought we were just on his route home but it turns out we are his destination. We are an urban habitat to many birds also. I dug into the compose pile and he is eating meal grubs. We had a close call and he doesn't much care for me. His tail went straight up and I froze. We always have a dog so there will be an incident sooner or later. I was trying to fill the tunnels under the fence with concrete but I have been out skunked. Now realizing he is just a 'French Pekinese' I have moved the compost pile to the front yard behind a big planter. I don't pull on Superman's cape, spit into the wind or expect to change a Pekinese. You would not believe the number of people that think I should nark him out to animal control!
    My other recent obsession is purses. I always had a practical purse. I bought two yesterday, a purple one and a bright yellow one. Second childhoods are more fun than the first.

• helenh
    11 years ago

What annuals did you buy? Post a picture of some plants in your yard.

Dah Since I was once the owner of a real Pekingese I thought you meant a real stubborn dog with no brains. Eating grubs did not help since my Honey eats mushroom compost and barks at grubs. Ok I get it - skunk.

I like stocks the flower - less risky, but it is too hot now. You can grow them there in winter and I can't.

• dowbright
    11 years ago

peggywho, second childhoods are something I never knew I'd have! Yet now I'm almost there. Fun, fun, fun! Except for the drought, seriously hurting my plans for the yard and veggies at our soon-to-be retirement house. :(

But retirement itself? Never dreamed we'd be able to, but the farm did well when we sold it last year. Hallelujah!
    :D

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peggy! I'm so glad you checked in. We missed you. I haven't seen any skunks around here lately. We were seeing them pretty often last summer and I know they were under my neighbor's shed. He may have gotten rid of them. I would enjoy having them around if it weren't for the worry of my dogs getting sprayed. It smells much worse up close. I'm glad I wasn't the only one unfamiliar with the term "French Pekinese" lol. I had to read that a second time, although I should've gotten it when you Peppy La Pew. I know who that is.

Dowbright - Congrats on your retirement, a well-deserved break I'm sure. I hope next summer is more normal and you can work on your new yard. I'm not sure I could stand another summer like this one myself.

• helenh
    11 years ago

Peggy put a picture of scary Larry on here. I think he is interesting.