Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Your favorite plant that ...

jspeachyn5
15 years ago

What is everyones favorite plants that reseed themselves?

I like my 4' clock's

Impatience

Sunflowers

Spiderwort

Comments (9)

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I like Vinca and Impatience

• helenh
    15 years ago

Good topic. A new favorite of mine is celosia. Red salvia -that always blooms this time of year. I pull it up in my daylilies but let a few grow. They cover up some of the ugliness this time of year. Mexican sunflower - not many plants come up but they grow big and I have all I want. Columbine babies are coming up now. Most favorite by far: poppies which are long gone and I almost forgot.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know helen I can't grow a poppy to save me. I try and try but never get one flower. I tried again this year after I read William's post about wanting Himalayan blue poppies. Made me want to try again. Silly me, no poppies again.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

Let's call the ones that I like peony poppies. You throw the seed out in the fall and watch for the seedlings in the spring. They are pretty when they bloom and then ugly. You have to put up with some ugly for them to reseed. Shirley poppies are another not as pretty but worth trying. If you can't grow them maybe you buried the seed or tried too hard, they plant themselves. They come up in my pea gravel path. I don't have any luck with California poppies and those you get free in the mail are like the wild ones in creek gravel - I have no luck with those.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

I love columbine! When I see those seed pods, I pop them all over the place... the more, the merrier!!

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

OK..I just read Ann's post about her "Round Up Crazy" neighbor ... I now add Morning Glories to my list!!

Sorry, but GW wouldn't let me post a 2nd time to the same subject ....

• helenh
    15 years ago

These celosia planted themselves (click to enlarge):

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I love all self-seeders (except morning glories!)

I have vinca, salvia farinacea, ageratum, salvia coccinea, and zinnias.

This spring I had poppies somniferum. I agree with helen's method of growing them. Once you get them started, look out!

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

Poppies have been self seeding in my garden for over 20 years. I also have vinca, cleome, globe amaranth,petunias, rose campion, zebrina hollyhock, celosia, zinnias, larkspur, echinacea, tall garden phlox, rudbeckia. Used to have batchelor button, snow on the mountain and nigella. Those are in the sunny border. In the shady border impatiens and columbine selfseed. Oh and I don't know if you can call it self-seeding, but tiger lilies drop those little bulblets on the stem and in 4 or 5 years the plants become big enough to bloom. Around the house in the woods lots of wildflowers self seed for me--bloodroot, bellflower, woodland phlox, tradescantia, starry campion, rue anemone, wild ginger, wild dwarf iris, blue, white, yellow and bicolor violets, wild ageratum, goldenrod. And I learned that daffodils will drop seed if not deadheaded and in a few years the young plants will bloom. The older I get the lazier I get, so I really appreciate these plants that take care of themselves.