Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunny6_gw

Neighbor Kill Morning Glories With Roundup

bunny6
15 years ago

I am sad today, beause my neighbor killed about a 30 foot section of morning glories that was growing on my privacy fence. The problem: I put up a 30 foot section of privacy fence which lines up with my patio for privacy then he fenced in his yard with a chain link fence, which left a space between the two fences. He used roundup to kill the grass between the fences and it spread into my yard. I told him when he put the fence in that there would be grass growing between the two fences and he said, " He didn't mind looking at grass." I also informed him that I plant vines on the privacy fence and to not use roundup, and he agreed he would not use it. Now I have dead vines hanging on the fence. He knew that moring glories were there, because they were sticking up above the fence. When I told him he had killed my flowers, he said he knew he did, but the grass made his yard look bad. No I am sorry. I was going to plant climbing roses there next year, but I guess not. Sorry I had to vent.

Ann

Comments (17)

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

That is sad.
    Why didn't he lay something down to prevent the grass growth before he installed his chain linked fence?
    Sorry to hear that, but if like my neighbor they really don't think, just do.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

I am afraid I would not have such a mild reaction if my neighbor did that. It is a good thing I don't live in town. The police would probably have to tazer me. You have a rotten inconsiderate neighbor. He is probably treating his wife like that if he has one. Be glad you are only his neighbor. Your morning glories rising above the fence may have dropped some seeds. He may have done it on purpose. Someone who has to have two fences between them and a neighbor seems odd.

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bonnie, I suggested that he put down plastic or something when he put up the fence. The fences have been up for about 8 years. He uses roundups on everything-around his house, along part of his fence and along the street. He knows how it spreads. I guess he was thinking it would not spread under my fence. I am not too happy with him right now, because he promised me he would not use it. Plus, it is one of the few places in my yard that has sun. More venting.
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

If you use round up sometimes it will get on something unintended. I have killed some of my own plants by mistake. When he saw what he did, he should have tried to make up for it. I think he should offer to pull up and dispose of the dead plants and buy you a rose bush or something. From your post he did not seem to consider your loss as much of a problem.

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry about the morning glory loss! Thank God I have a neighbor that likes flowers because she thinks my morning glory..growing on my fence... is beautiful and she gets as much enjoyment out of them as I do... So sorry, Bonnie!

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Sorry about your morning glories! I don't think I would have been so calm about it. I know some people don't like them but he seems like he just enjoys being an A$$. I would hate living next door to someone like that.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I would vent too Ann. Spraying the grass between the two fences shouldn't have affected your morning glories. The roots were on your side of the privacy fence right? I think he must've sprayed over the top of the fence onto the morning glory foliage unless there are gaps between the boards where the spray can go through. What a jerk.
    But - I think the only way he's going to be able to weeds and grass down between the two fences is to continue to spray it occasionally. You're best chance it to plant something that doesn't go higher than your privacy fence and make sure there aren't any gaps between the boards.
    Over the years, I've read MANY hair-raising stories about bad neighbors. Some people really have a lot of nerve and it serves them right for making their own lives miserable as well by picking fights.

• epaoshaguy
    15 years ago

Ann...not sure where you live, big or small community, but it is unlawful to apply herbicides that cause colaterial damage. I would'nt hurt to report this (might work better in a smaller community). You may get some satisification from him if there were a legal representitive between the two of you. It may seem a small issue for some, but he either deliberately sprayed your glories, or applied enough to his side to allow the round up leach to your side and kill the roots of your glories. If I'm correct, round up works by contact to foliage and should not have killed your glories if applied correctly to just his side of the fence.

I would be after a piece of his.....well....satisification of some sort...

Sorry...

• helenh
    15 years ago

Your description of his mowing and use of roundup makes me think he just did what he does and was not targeting you. I would put heavy duty landscape cloth down along the fence and cover with mulch or pea gravel for a path. Then plant your border a few feet in. Take pictures and keep receipts. If it happens again, try to collect. I think Christie is right, he can't promise not to use roundup because the big mistake was the no-mans-land between fences. Being obsessive he will have to use roundup, but he can be more careful.

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There is holes between the pickets and he uses one of those one-gallon sprayers. My mom has one and they can spray a wide stream. He had to have sprayed over the fence for them to die. I caught him a couple days before he sprayed looking over the fence. He climbed his chain link fence and was looking in my yard. I thought it was kinda weird, but he does weird stuff anyway. I think he went spraying happy. Some of my flowers were over the fence a little bit, so he probably did not like that, because he leaves me little notes, if my shrubs goes over the boundary line. Jerry I live in a town of about 22,000 in a subdivision. Unfortunately, this situation caused tension between neighbors. I won't be planting anything close to the fence in the future, so this won't happen again. Thanks for all you guys listening. Things like this is very fustrating.

• helenh
    15 years ago

He is nuts.

• bethany90125_aol_com
    12 years ago

I've had the same problem with my neighbor. He sprays Roundup indiscriminately along the fence and kills my grass. My lawn is incredibly well maintained where as his lawn is a mess. I've told him several times about it and in every instance he just smiles and says, "oh well, I wouldn't worry about it." It's a classic case of self-absorbed neighbors exercising their sense of entitlement. The silver lining is knowing the fact that these sort of people are usually miserable on the inside. And, like my father always said, nobody lasts forever. :-)

• Lola50
    11 years ago

Hello everyone im new thats a worry with the neighbour im new in my neighbourhood and what i dont understand is my neighbours indroduced themselves and wanted to know all about me seemed friendly (maybe not) i have seen them many times in the garden and they do not speak at all they pretend i am not but 3 feet from them when tending my garden near the chain link fence moral of this story is today i have been picking out the vines of my morning glory as they have detached from the trelis and started to crawl up the chain link fence i wondered now if i should have planted them in that area(oh yes its the best sun) what do you do for neighbours to be like this it cant be because of flowers (can it )

• helenh
    11 years ago

When we moved here from the city, our neighbors thought we were snooty. You do not wave to people in cars on the road in town. They all knew us because we were new and we did not recognize them. Maybe in the minds of your neighbors the garden is a private spot or something. People in the city walk past each other on streets and don't nod or wave. Don't worry about it. You could speak to them and if they don't answer, don't worry. If it is your morning glories, they are touchy. Morning glories do reseed but if a neighbor doesn't like them, they could mention it in polite conversation. I doubt that is it. The original poster was dealing with a crazy person and bethany's neighber is just clueless. You don't have a problem yet unless they get out the Roundup.

• Lola50
    11 years ago

Yes Helenh thanks i guess your right i recently realised the fence belongs to me anyway so its all good I am waiting for my morning glory to pop more important to me hope they come soon i have great vines also i just thought i would throw in the neighbour thing as its tough in canada coming from another country trying to make friends

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Lola - Have you just moved to Canada from another country? or did you mean that you mean that you've moved to the US from Canada? Sounds like either way, you've made a big move and it will take time to adjust.

I wanted to let you know, if you're living in Canada now, Gardenweb has a "Gardening in Canada" forum that you would like. It would be good to start a new post and introduce yourself. I think you'll like Gardenweb. Welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening in Canada

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH