Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Grandpa Otts

gldno1
15 years ago

William, see what I mean about it taking over?

I thought I had most of it pulled up so it wouldn't choke out the clematis paniculata. I failed. It is so pretty, I guess it's OK. I need to find an isolated farm fence and plant some, Maybe on both sides of the yard next to the road. DH would probably kill me if I covered his fence!

{{gwi:1117099}}

{{gwi:1117100}}

{{gwi:1117101}}

Comments (16)

• helenh
    15 years ago

It is pretty this time of year. I was trying to clear a path this morning that had grown up and become impassable. MG was across the path and wrapped around the weeds. A mass of MG blooming beautifully is covering everything nearby. If I pull the weed or clear the path I'm afraid it is all connected and will wilt and die. I love it because it takes care of itself, but you are right it needs to have its own place.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

After I replace the fence around the yard (don't know when that will be though) I plan to plant vines on it to cover it up. I would prefer to see something blooming than just a plain fence. And it will give me someplace else to plant!

• helenh
    15 years ago

Proudgm, If you do grow morning glories you should know Grandpa Otts blooms earlier than heavenly blue (it really is a beautiful heavenly blue). I planted heavenly blue before and it was almost frost by the time it bloomed. Also sometimes the direction makes a difference. I haven't noticed it on Grandpa because it is everywhere, but my heavenly blue wanted to face east which happened to be where only cows could see it.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Those were probably happy cows! I believe that flowers should be planted for everyone's enjoyment. Your neighbors, cows,....

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I am disappointed that mine that was growing in the front shrub row all died out !

I think they are beautiful.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Mine comes up everywhere and wraps around things. Even though I planted it in a bad place and don't care that it is covering those plants, it impossible to weed that area. Oh well, I could pull weeds in my poor asperagus.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

gldno1- yes, i am familiar with the appetite of the plant. it is a real go getter.

now you can have some of these if you desire. it will outpace anything you have. seeds are free to everyone by request only!

william

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Kudzu? No thanks. There was someone actually wanting seeds of that on the seed exchange.

• helenh
    15 years ago

That looks like my long driveway only I have something called cinnamon vine with little potatoes on it that grow into more and more. I said this spring that if I sat in my yard in a chair, vines would grow over me and tie me up.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Helen does your cinnamon vine have heart shaped leaves and produce flowers? I have heard of something called air potato that sounds like that.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

helen can you post a pic of the vine?
    maybe so we could see up close ?
    I have heard of something like that as well.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

William, we went to Tennessee a few years ago and saw kudzu in person. I was downright scary! I think it has escaped into southern Missouri too.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I've seen it taking over trees in the Ste. Genevieve area. Really frightening.

• helenh
    15 years ago

cinnamon vine Never plant this vine; it should be against the law to knowingly distribute it.

{{gwi:27445}}

{{gwi:27447}}

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Here is what I found. They are one in the same.
    everything I read said the are very invasive.

University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service - Arkansas Home and Garden - Plant of the Week - Cinnamon Vine or Air Potato.
    www.arhomeandgarden.org/ plantoftheweek/articles/Cinnamon.htm - 16k

Bonnie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If anyone wants seeds of Grandpa Otts, just let me know. I will have billions.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES