Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grandpa Otts

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 11:25

William, see what I mean about it taking over?

I thought I had most of it pulled up so it wouldn't choke out the clematis paniculata. I failed. It is so pretty, I guess it's OK. I need to find an isolated farm fence and plant some, Maybe on both sides of the yard next to the road. DH would probably kill me if I covered his fence!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grandpa Otts

It is pretty this time of year. I was trying to clear a path this morning that had grown up and become impassable. MG was across the path and wrapped around the weeds. A mass of MG blooming beautifully is covering everything nearby. If I pull the weed or clear the path I'm afraid it is all connected and will wilt and die. I love it because it takes care of itself, but you are right it needs to have its own place.

o

After I replace the fence around the yard (don't know when that will be though) I plan to plant vines on it to cover it up. I would prefer to see something blooming than just a plain fence. And it will give me someplace else to plant!

o

Proudgm, If you do grow morning glories you should know Grandpa Otts blooms earlier than heavenly blue (it really is a beautiful heavenly blue). I planted heavenly blue before and it was almost frost by the time it bloomed. Also sometimes the direction makes a difference. I haven't noticed it on Grandpa because it is everywhere, but my heavenly blue wanted to face east which happened to be where only cows could see it.

o

Those were probably happy cows! I believe that flowers should be planted for everyone's enjoyment. Your neighbors, cows,....

o

I am disappointed that mine that was growing in the front shrub row all died out !

I think they are beautiful.

o

Mine comes up everywhere and wraps around things. Even though I planted it in a bad place and don't care that it is covering those plants, it impossible to weed that area. Oh well, I could pull weeds in my poor asperagus.

o

gldno1- yes, i am familiar with the appetite of the plant. it is a real go getter.

now you can have some of these if you desire. it will outpace anything you have. seeds are free to everyone by request only!

william
nice vines 001

o

Kudzu? No thanks. There was someone actually wanting seeds of that on the seed exchange.

o

That looks like my long driveway only I have something called cinnamon vine with little potatoes on it that grow into more and more. I said this spring that if I sat in my yard in a chair, vines would grow over me and tie me up.

o

Helen does your cinnamon vine have heart shaped leaves and produce flowers? I have heard of something called air potato that sounds like that.

o

helen can you post a pic of the vine?
maybe so we could see up close ?
I have heard of something like that as well.
Bonnie

o

William, we went to Tennessee a few years ago and saw kudzu in person. I was downright scary! I think it has escaped into southern Missouri too.

o

I've seen it taking over trees in the Ste. Genevieve area. Really frightening.

o

cinnamon vine Never plant this vine; it should be against the law to knowingly distribute it.

o

Here is what I found. They are one in the same.
everything I read said the are very invasive.

University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service - Arkansas Home and Garden - Plant of the Week - Cinnamon Vine or Air Potato.
www.arhomeandgarden.org/ plantoftheweek/articles/Cinnamon.htm - 16k

Bonnie

o

If anyone wants seeds of Grandpa Otts, just let me know. I will have billions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here