Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Black Cherry Tomato (Pic)

gldno1
14 years ago

I am finally getting some of these now. They are quite good and sweet if you leave them on the vine until they are very dark.

{{gwi:1117125}}

Mine have made monstrous vines over 5 feet tall and one was sprawled out in the grass and I could see the Bermuda growing up through it, so I pulled it up in order to mow. I still have two in the garden; shouldn't have put them next to the gate, one on each side and periodically have to push them back so I can get in.

Comments (10)

• Susy
    14 years ago

I had never seen these before yesterday. At our card/craft get together someone brought yellow cherry tomatoes with a few of the black ones mixed in to snack on. Strange color (to me) for tomatoes but pretty tasty. Guess I need to play catch-up on the veggies out there.

Did you grow yours from seed or buy plants?

Bev

• helenh
    14 years ago

I don't like mine because they are crowding other tomatoes. I think where ever I put them they would have caused a problem because the plants get huge. I have tomatoes sitting everywhere in boxes. I lost quite a few to rot. Even though I sprayed, I have some worm holes. Then they rot. I totally messed up on Ananas Noir and still don't know when those are ripe.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Helen, I agree it is a rampant plant.

I don't like it quite as much as the little gold one, I think Sungold. That one has volunteered for me for several years....but not this year. I will order seeds of it again.

Bev, I raised it from seeds from a few tomatoes a neighbor brought me. I had never heard of it before. I am assuming that is what they were since they are so dark. Mine aren't producing that much yet but the foliage is so clean that I am assuming it will keep on until frost.

• teeandcee
    14 years ago

Very pretty! I think I'm growing this same variety sold to me as Black Wine Cherry. I don't think I'll grow it again as it just doesn't seem to have much taste to my tongue. But then all my varieties aren't tasting right this year so maybe it's just me.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bev, I always grow from seed. Actually, I had never heard of these until a neighbor brought me a few to try and save the seeds of. I had never heard of Black Cherry but figured that's what these were.

Helen, they are the biggest cherry tomato plant I have ever seen, but are very disease resistant. The leaves on mine are nice and clean. I don't think they are quite as good as the little yellow one that has self-seeded for me each year...but none this year. It think it was Sungold.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I've heard good things about Sungold. I have one called Coyote that has very small yellow tomatoes on it. They're good but if I eat the other tomatoes first and then those, they almost taste rotten. I think they're just sweeter.
    One of my cherry tomato plants has tomatoes bigger than a golf ball but they're not ripe yet so I can't tell what color they're going to be. I think I may have gotten some crosses since they were just seeds-for-postage from the winter sowing forum. One plant that I thought was Isis Candy has yellowish gold tomatoes on it and they were supposed to be red I think.

Glenda - Are your Black Cherries green around the seeds inside?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, they are Christie.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Isis Candy is a yellowish red--look on the bottom, is there a "starburst"?

• helenh
    14 years ago

I am finally sick of Glacier. It has small tomatoes ping pong ball size for me. It was the earliest to have a ripe tomato even though it was planted weeks later than the first I got in the ground. I have only one plant and every week I take tomatoes to people with many of these small ones and a few nice big heirlooms. I have so many tomatoes now that I am picking the nice pink Evas or black tomatoes instead of these little ones to eat myself. I will plant it again next year because it has been a wonderful producer. I am having a problem with stink bugs and a few blister beetles.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Has anyone every made tomato preserves? I am thinking these cherry tomatoes would be good for that.

Sponsored
Pioneers Kitchen and Bath LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Loudoun County's Professional Kitchen & Bath Remodelers