Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
get your lettuce seeds out

Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 13:09

More rain sprinkle some seeds around for fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: get your lettuce seeds out

What kind of lettuce are you growing Helen?
I never liked the leaf lettuce that my dad grew, no crunch at all, but this year he grew a red leaf lettuce that was good.

o

I planted a Pinetree mix but I have lots of kinds. I think mixes are a good idea or plant a little of several kinds. I realized I don't need a large area of lettuce to supply me with all I can eat. I didn't take the time to prepare a very big area. I may plant some more soon and it would be nice if I were to label it. Last spring I had one that I thought was superior and didn't know what it was. I like buttercrunch but it takes longer to grow. I don't care for romaine. Black seeded Simpson is OK but I like a little more substance to the leaf. Put on some oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper and almost any kind is wonderful.

o

If the rain every lets up enough for me to get in the garden, I would like to try some fall things too.

There are lots of things we can try. I have never done any fall planting except for garlic.

Here is a link that might be useful: August Gardening Calendar

o

I need to try just mixing lettuce here and there in my flower beds I guess. My attempt at growing it in a container last year didn't go very well.

o

Last year was not a good year Christie. Lettuce can be very pretty. I love salads so I always plant too much. It doesn't take much for a salad if you have tomatoes, onions and cucumbers too. It has a time when it is good and then declines so probably a little now and some later that can be covered. I may try some radishes too. Sometimes I have luck with radishes and sometimes they are all tops. I don't expect leaf lettuce to be crunchy like iceburg. I know it is bad for you, but have you ever put bacon grease and vinegar on leaf lettuce?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here