Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

tough yr!

sweetwm007
12 years ago

have replanted beans twice and cucumbers twice. hordes of locust. never seen anything like it in over 40 yrs.

picture is of okra plants that were very healthy..

william

Comments (6)

• helenh
    12 years ago

Yes it was a terrible gardening year but I didn't get hit by the tornado so I should not complain. I had grasshoppers too: the defoliators here were striped blister beetles- it seemed like thousands of them. I try not to spray and if I do, I try to use mild stuff. I used up my Pyola then made a brew of garlic, finally I bought some liquid sevin but by that time they were already gone. Now I am using the sevin on the perimeter of my house for ants that are carrying things off.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

It's good to see you check in William. It's been horribly hot and dry here too but I don't think I have as many grasshoppers as you do. You must be ready to give up. Hope next year will be easier.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I forgot to say 'good to hear from you' William. Glenda gave me pole bean seeds. The vines grew up over my metal arch and flowered but no beans. What did I do wrong? I did get a few cucumbers and ate three today with oil, vinegar and garlic. There were not enough of them but I did have an occasional treat. I tried a raised bed made of oak blocks that should be fire wood. I do better in the ground; drainage was the last thing I needed this year. Your garden is always orderly maybe you'll have to make a screened in bed.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

William, you are not alone. It has been the worst
    gardening year I can remember and I am older than you!

Helen, I have zero beans too. It is because of the heat. Even the tomatoes didn't set like they should. I keep hoping I might get a few when the weather cools down. They bloom like crazy and then just drop off.

I have had the striped blister beetles too and that is a first for me. They can strip a plant overnight. I even had a small yellow squash that they ate the side out of. I dusted with Sevin. Now I am having lots of tomato horn worms. I have a hard time finding them on the plants. I may just spray all of them with Sevin and be done with it.

So far, not too many hoppers.........there is still time yet.
    I am still finding J. Beetles on my roses.

Okra is looking good and producing like crazy.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

this has been a humdinger of a yr. no rain for like 60 days and everything had blossom drop because of the temps and the high temps have lasted for a long time.
    i killed over 21 hornworms last yr but only 3 this yr. probably have killed 5,000 grasshoppers by just mowing.
    i have cucumbers coming up in containers and they are covered in cheese cloth. i know as soon as i remove the cloth they are gone. what are you gonna do??????

william

• ceresone
    12 years ago

Well, I think I'm probably older than most of you-and this year has been horrid.No, I didn't have the bugs, I've only seen one horn worm, and Neem takes care of squash bugs before they much more than hatch-but nothing is getting ripe!! A few cucumbers, and very few tomatoes--my winter squash has produced well-but everything else--Blaa! No blackberries, raspberries, fruit--anything. I read a article that blamed the excessive heat--so I guess thats as good as anything to blame. Everything is growing rampant--just not producing.