Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

My favorite zinnia this year

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I didn't keep track of what kind of zinnias I planted this spring but I sure like this one. It's a beautiful bright reddish purple and has been producing some BIG flowers, I'm guessing more than four inches across.

Comments (17)

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Your zinnia is very pretty, I too like purple ones and
    I planted a mix of colors and have several yellow ones.
    I have had better luck this year with them. I planted
    3 different beds at different times and they are all
    blooming now. I like the ones that don't get so tall
    they flop over. Here is one of mine , it measured 4 inches.
    Happy gardening, caroline

{{gwi:21650}}

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Those are wonderful.
    Great color too.
    I didn't try any this year. Had mildew on my last year.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

Very pretty. Christie yours is a money plant. I would like to know the names if anyone can place them. I have a pretty red called dreamland. Maybe they are dreamland purple.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok Helen - It took me a minute but I get it now. I was thinking "Money Plant doesn't have blooms like that" lol

Beautiful Caroline! I'm so glad you've joined in the Ozarks forum. We used to have a few people from eastern Oklahoma that posted here but when they started a forum for Oklahoma gardeners, they all disappeared. : ( There's nothing wrong with participating in both forums.

I have mildew on some of my zinnias this year too. Does that mean I planted them too close together?

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Someone told me if they are too close or if you get the leaves wet after the a.m.
    He told me to always water them from below and do so early in the a.m.
    so they would have time to dry out before the sun went down. ??
    He told me that after I had gotten everything planted. so I was to late to go and replant my zinnias.
    funny Christie, I was thinking the same thing about your zinnia not being a money plant. I'm a little slow.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

I think you have to just look at the pretty this time of year. I have spots and holes and other imperfections on the leaves of many plants. I don't think it is because you have done anything wrong. There are just lots of living organisms out there that are hungry for your plants. By the way I squished 16 slugs today.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

OK,please help this Senior One....I don't get the money plant thing.

Beautiful colors on those zinnias. So far my dark pink ones have no mildew, but the others are covered. The pink is facing south, the others facing west??? don't know if that is significant or not.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bonnie - I've only watered mine a couple times this year but maybe they got a little too much rain early on and I DID plant them pretty close together.
    Gld - I put a dime in the center of the bloom to show the size. You may not be able to see it unless you enlarge the photo.
    Helen - You're very brave. : P I just can't squish those things. It's a good thing I don't see them much.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Hi all, I like reading most all posts, and learn from them.
    My sprinklers water my zinnias early of morning. I have lots of color. Have not been bothered with mildew or bugs,
    I am really lucky there :) Have a good holiday.
    caroline

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Christie and gldno1 if I remember right.
    You can mix a little baking soda and water to mist on the mildew. Then tap the flower to remove the excess moisture.
    I would think that a place that gets plenty of wind/air would be fine. Maybe not matter so much if they are close.
    I too noticed the ones that were on the west side of house had plenty of sun and wind and no mildew. ?
    I'm with Christie about the snails eeewwww. I just spray them with vinegar.
    Bonnie

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Great picture and wonderful flowers Caroline.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

I am getting even for the hawk shadow picture in epa guy's post. I couldn't figure out why the shadow was in the air. I have declared war on slugs. I got 10 more but I had to pick those up - worse than stepping on them. I put out cantaloupe rinds and torn up tomatoes they had already ruined. They came but then I had to pick them up. You guys got me looking at zinnia pictures. Too late to plant this year and a long cold winter until we can. Ug!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

caroline, that is the most gorgeous golden yellow I have every seen. That's why I love zinnias, nothing gives such pure colors.

I think I looked at that picture before I even had my first cup of coffee, christie. I didn't even enlarge it! Duhhhhhh! It was quite obvious when I did.

I knew about the b. soda, but forgot to give it a try. I think I have the recipe somewhere for it.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks , am glad you enjoyed the pics. Too late ? I
    planted more zinnias in a huge pot last week and they are
    about 5 inches tall, I think they will bloom before too
    long. I like them , b/c they last a long time.
    Happy holiday, caroline

• helenh
    15 years ago

Caroline, you have the right attitude. I meant too late to order the seeds for this year because when I searched zinnia I found lots of good stuff. The lack of rain keeps me in check. This is from the dreamland series

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Helen, that is one beautiful zinnia, I love red, out side
    or inside, :) It was a dry summer here too, had a bit
    of rain this past month, small, but was appreciated.
    I have just finished digging my iris, wow, they were
    sure needing it. Happy gardening. caroline

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I have already picked up some sale mixed zinnia seeds at the MFA near us but still want to get some single color seeds. That red is on the list now.

caroline, I am digging and moving iris too....just as soon as it cools down a bit and, hopefully, rains some.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus