Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small water garden

Posted by janeth_50 z6MO (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 15:13

I want to put in a pre-formed water garden.
Should it be in full sun, shade, or half sun/shade

Janeth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small water garden

You are welcome here but there is a ponds forum. If the shade is from trees, you will have too many leaves. Even in summer in dry weather my trees are shedding leaves. If the shade is from a building or lattice it would be OK depending on what plants you want. I think water lilies want sun but some other plants may tolerate shade.

o
RE: small water garden - bad advice

I looked this up on the pond forum and saw that you posted there also. It is true a small pond in the sun will get too hot. I have black stock tanks and in the sun they get too hot. My pond in the ground is covered in part by water lily leaves and although I consider it small, it is bigger than a pre-formed pond liner. It does not get too hot in the sun. The part about the leaves is still a consideration. After giving it more thought, I realize I have the worst trees. Walnuts and river birch. The walnut leaves are kind of nasty and turn the water brown. The river birch sheds leaves at the first sign of dry weather. So You should consider what kind of trees you have. Everyone has leaves in the fall. You can deal with that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here