Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceresone

Waiting on a tomato report?

ceresone
16 years ago

Well, about all I can tell you is that I'm waiting too!!

I do know I will plant very few Heirloom Tomatoes from now on.I understand everyone is having slow ripening, but this is ridiculous! I have 10--12' tall vines, loads of HUGE tomatoes, and very few ripe!

I'll geve a report on what I know so far

Purple Russian? I may not even save my packet of leftover seeds! Looks like a rotten roma, tastes like its going bad, and looks terrible mixed in other tomatoes.

Big Rainbow?, cant tell the difference in looks or taste in Old German, or Mr.Stripey, However does have a fresh, tangy, sweet taste--Will keep.

Ananas Noir? Best find of years for us--taste hard to describe, sweet with a taste of citrus, description says, probably right. Will forever be in my garden.

Viva Italiana? loaded, just a fancier name for Roma.

Almost 80 other varities--and all still green--and its August.

Turtles and Armadillos are fat, Ananas Noir is so good I've been known to take half a tomato away from a turtle! Lima Beans are refusing to fill out too.

And here I'm wanting to wind up the canning before right hand surgery next month!!

Next year, with the exception of the few I mentioned, I'm going back to hybred canning tomatoes.--And I'm going to check carefully the maturity dates on everything I plant.

Back to making egg noodles while eggs are plentiful, and storing them in the freezer.

Everyone take care in the heat thats moving into the Ozarks...

Comments (4)