Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

oaklief- this is for you

sweetwm007
15 years ago

after receiving your pm, i did visit the accessible forum of GW. some good ideas on there. this is my planter box for the physically privileged.

william

Comments (9)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

William, that is just fantastic.

Are you selling these? You should be....I just saw a planter box with a wooden trellis online for $50 and it was pretty small.

You have a real talent.

Have you built a cold frame yet? The slanted version with a way to prop up the glass could be a hot item. Not everyone lives in an area where you can stack bales of hay, cover with an old window and then cover with an old blanket during the coldest weather....like I do.

A homeowners association would toss us out in a heartbeat!

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Have you considered selling your items on line, garden shows or at craft fairs? You could sell your planters as a kit and instructions, then have the buyer put them together with screws. This planter would be great for a nursing home or mature adult living complex.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

actually all the items i have built have been sold. that was not my intent. in the winter i have a lot of free time because there is little gardening or yard work. we have 4 acres with 2 1/2 that are open and contain grass/rocks and weeds and it is all i can do to stay abreast of the situation. weed wacking the borders of the raised beds takes a lot of time. i use roundup around them too and a push mower.

i don't think most people know what a cold frame is in this day and age.

it is h___ to get old!

william

• helenh
    15 years ago

I imagine you have a lot of time and effort in the planters you make. Whether it is a money maker or not; it is good to have a hobby that keeps you interested. Where are you getting all that red cedar and isn't it difficult to work with? I knew a man who had a shopsmith and all he made was rolling pins.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

we have a sawmill abpout 4 miles from here and the owner is very nice. the wood is rough cut and is difficult to work with. with my limited skills, it has been a challenge.
    as a friend used to say, ain't no hill for a climber!

william

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Do you use a plainer (spelling ?) or is the sawmill pretty accurate on their wood? My husband and I made all our own wood furniture. It took alot of work and time, so I know how much work you put into your items. I always got stuck with the sanding and staining. I would spend hours sanding boards with a little hand sander. Your items are wonderful. Oh, alot of people know what a cold frame is. Do a search for one and look at home many sites there are. I look for one before I decided to build my own and they are not cheap. Good work!
    Ann

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the sawmill is not that accurate which presents you with many problems. still a heck of a lot cheaper then lowe's or home depot.

i do have a planer but don't use it for pcs over 3 ft. too difficult.

on any wood project you can sand your life away!

just started building a cold frame which will have legs. when we came here 2 yrs ago i had all the windows replaced. will use one of the old panes.

william

• oakleif
    15 years ago

William, Thank you so much for thinking of me, What a great planter box for people in wheel chairs. WOW you did good. And yes you do have a great talent. It is so nice to see all the old and new friends who have started posting. You guys keep up the good work. THIS IS A GREAT FORUM.
    vickie

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nice to hear from you vickie. was getting worried.
    always enjoy your posts and knowledge.

william

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!