Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyside1_gw

Your 2009 Star Tomatoes

sunnyside1
14 years ago

I'm thinking about 2010 season's tomatoes, and wondering if you'd share what varieties you grew that produced and tasted the best? What will you have back next year?

I only had about 13 or so plants, but my best producers so far were Big Beef, then Box Car Willie, Red Husky (in containers), Pink Brandywine, Beef Master, Better Boy, and still waiting for Aunt Ruby's German Green to blossom. Pink Caspian and Orange Oxheart don't taste that good to me, so I won't have them back. Of course, the Sweet 100 cherry is going bananas, as it always does.

Sunny

Comments (6)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

My tomatoes were so sorry this year, I can't even pick a star and when something would ripen, a varmint would eatit before I could get to it! A real bust of a tomato year for me.

• cowdiddly
    14 years ago

Hands down Was Bradley. Vines survived and are still producing for fall they are 7 foot tall and loaded. even outdid better boy

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bradley? I'm putting that variety down for next season. Is it an Heirloom or hybrid? I don't think I have seen it here, but I can get seeds. It sounds really good.
    I forgot to add Cherokee Purple as a goodie to my list. Senior Moment.
    Thanks.
    Sunny

• helenh
    14 years ago

Glacier is a small early tomato that has had many many healthy tomatoes from just one plant. I had tomatoes in early July and I planted it last. I had to prepare the ground so it was in a few weeks late. Now that the big juicy ones are ripe, I am sick of it. I will plant it again for my early tomatoes. Granny Cantrell is a big pink heirloom that tastes and looks good. It was my first really good tomato, I started it early with wall of water around it. I had tomatoes in mid July. I had to eat Glaciers waiting for this, but when I have it I don't eat the little ones. Eva Purple Ball and Pale Perfect Purple make beautiful medium sized pink tomatoes not bad about rotting. I will plant them next year too. Mortgage Lifter is OK, has nice big tomatoes that I had to wait for. Now I am getting lots of them, but it took a while. Black from Tula is pretty and interesting. I may plant it again because I have room. It rots if it gets a split or hole. My friend really likes the taste. I had no luck with Ananas Noir; didn't know when it was ripe and let it rot. My tomatoes grew too close, I don't stake and a tomato that doesn't turn red is too much for my little brain. I don't care for cherry tomatoes; my best was reisentraube. It had a million flowers but was late to set fruit. It is red and tastes pretty good. I don't like my black cherry. I forget where I got the seeds maybe I don't have the true strain they brag about. I don't like its color. Black prince is a medium black; It is OK but I don't care for the color. Celebrity is an indestructable hybrid that has lots of tomatoes. I planted it late so I got in the habit of eating others. When I eat tomatoes I eat the Evas, perfect purples and granny cantrells so I haven't eaten many celebrities. I should give them a try. I will plant them again for insurance. I only have two plants and they are loaded. I pulled up Sophie's Choice.

• cowdiddly
    14 years ago

Bradley is an old 60s variety bred by the Univerity of Arkansas right in your own backyard. I guess they knew what they were doing because it preforms well here. it produces beautiful dusty rose fruit slightly larger than a baseball. Nice mellow taste. My only complaint is the vines are really leafy making it hard to see the tomatoes in spots. I think it might have been a hybrid at first but the cross has stabilized and is an OP variety. I just stumbled upon a few puny plants at atwoods on accident and decided to give them a try as I had never heard of them. Ill always grow a few of these I live in SE Oklahoma.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I tried Arkansas Traveler for the first time and love it. Also Sungold cherry. My Husky Red cherriess are still producing. A large one called Thessaloniki that Baker's sent as a bonus has produced well and has been flavorful. They also sent Pink Accordian one plant of which I planted at my Dad's house in 6 inches of leaf mold has done well, but mine in a less favorable spot has been a bust. I also tried current tomatoes hoping to get small tomatoes to dry a la Dawn on the Ok forum. But although they produced a lot of tomatoes, they had to be really really ripe to have any flavor and by then the skins were tough. Plus they split and fell with all the rain, so I won't do that again.

I planted Rev Morrow's Longkeeper (from Baker's) late, but never got them staked. Three plants have a lot of green tomatoes right now, but the striped blister beetles have found them and some of them have rotted from all the rain. I still have seed so will try them again next year and stake or cage them.