Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epaoshaguy

Greetings

epaoshaguy
15 years ago

I read the "intro" from Jerry and decided I should follow suit...

My name is also Jerry, from northwest Ark. Life time cattle and horse rancher, retired from the business world to stay at home and piddle....interested in truck or market gardening and try my hand at rooting cuttings. I have found this site to be extreamly informative and friendly and look forward to exchanging thoughts and ideas.

Jerry - epa

Comments (10)

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Hi Jerry, my name is Ann. I am kinda new to the forum. I lived in Northwest Arkansas for several years, and loved it there.

You are correct the people are very welcoming on this forum.

I quit my job as biology instructor at a university to be a stay at home mom to a teenager. My hobby is flowers (especially roses). I actually got all my rose cuttings to grow. Welcome to the forum.
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

Yes, this is a friendly forum. I like to 'talk' about plants with people who share my interests and learn from them. I am sure you will have interesting things to share with us. Welcome, I like to stay home and piddle around my yard too.

• epaoshaguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ann and Helenh. Thanks for the welcome. Spent alot of years as an epa & osha compliance officer. Now I'm just farming, watching my kids grow up, starting a vinyard, and lovin life.
    I took my first cuttings today from some wild roses that grow along a rock wall on one of my farms. They're so prolific I can't hardly mess that up. Also took some from a wild cherry and a couple of other trees. Can't wait to see if this really works.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Welcome Jerry,
    I like to mess around in my yard everyday as well. I believe it is addictive. Oh well I can think of worse habits.
    Feel free to jump in any time.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Well, welcome to everyone!

I really enjoying visiting with you all and comparing notes on gardening and getting tips and techniques for our neck of the woods.

I take cuttings of my roses and have been pretty successful with most. I have two Aloha roses blooming in pots right now that I will plant out when it gets a bit cooler. I have not been successful with shrubs. I would like to do my 'Diana' rose of sharon and Beauty Bush (kolkwitzia). Tried Annabelle hydrangea and bb this summer, but failed miserably.

We enjoy pictures here too so please post pictures for us of your gardens and projects.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Welcome Jerry! Glad you joined in. You can learn more from other gardeners than you could from a whole stack of books. Don't give up on rooting cuttings if it does't go well the first time. Some things are easier to root than others and I think timing is important on some plants.

I finally rooted my butterfly bush after trying three years in a row. Now I've got to figure out where to put them. I've rooted Annabelle Hydrangea a couple times by layering a branch and left it attached until the next spring. I used the same method with another hydrangea and had good luck that time too.

I've tried several times to root my mother's Peace Rose and I can NOT get it to work. She's had the same rose as long as I can remember and it has sentimental value to me. A store bought Peace Rose wouldn't be the same - so try try again.

• epaoshaguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bonnie, gldno 1, and Christie. Thanks for the welcome.

So far no wilt is visiable on my cuttings. They are in a sandy mix and not in direct sun. I moisten them when I think about it with a spray bottle. Looking for all the pieces to construct a mister or fogger.

Please feel free to throw in any advice or suggestions you may have, I'm very interested. I planted 3,200 grape vines last winter, and would like to figure out how to do this so I can expand the vinyard from the vines I already have.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!!

jerry

• helenh
    15 years ago

I love your dog picture on your page. You can see what that dog is thinking. I used to have a blue dog and I will never forget her. She was so smart, but a character and trouble maker too.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

welcome to y'all!
    william

• epaoshaguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy William.....You'ens shore nuff have a right decent batch of folk round here....make a fella feel kinda like he's sittin down to Sunday dinner with family!!!