Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

the price of groceries

sweetwm007
15 years ago

i was in walmart in flippin about 4 weeks ago and walked through the produce section and they had red bell peppers for $1.97 each. green bell peppers were 88 cents each. watermelons were $4.98. this world is going crazy. very few people garden anymore. i think i have outlived sanity!

william- in yellville looking for his lost shaker of salt!

Comments (6)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Wally World is, by far, the most expensive source of produce in my area. You have to shop around and know the prices, before buying ANYTHING at WMT or else you may pay more for the same item, available for less, down the street! Not every price is a bargain in their stores. Sale items usually are.
    As you probably know, their prices on any given item may vary from store to store, as they use demographic data to set prices. The pricing is determined by the average household income in the surrounding ZIP Codes and can vary by 10-20%. They also adjust prices upward in any store, to reflect losses due to shoplifting and employee theft (actual or anticipated!).
    Wise shoppers can save money shopping there, but you have to know what their competitors are charging!
    Rb

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I was in our local grocery a few days ago and what I noticed is a jar of Miracle Whip was almost $5! I almost fainted. I swear I remember getting it on sale for around $1.99.

We are going to appreciate our canned and frozen stuff this winter!

I see people buying a couple of tomatoes and I want to stop and say why don't you just plant a couple in the yard? My first garden way back when was maybe a 30 foot square and I raised everything but sweet corn. It is amazing what you can raise in a very small space.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I buy cantaloupes from a man who sells them in a parking lot. To me it is not the price, but the taste. The locally grown and ripe fruit tastes so much better. I grow tomatoes and I always plant a few more than I need, I give my excess away. People have been especially glad to get them this year.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

This entire "cost" of food is crazy.
    Since I live alone I haven't planted any vegetables in a few years.
    but upon the rise in food and utility cost I have decided I will next year.
    So I will be picking everyones opinion later about the best to plant.
    I purchased one tomato yesterday and it was 1.50 @ lb. Cucumber was .82, Bananas .64, Peaches were 1.50 @ lb. the real zing for me was a bag of salad was 2.17. that is crazy.
    I suppose since it is only me I will have to really pay close attention and only sow a few at a time and keep planting through out.
    Bonnie

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Helen, I going to move next door to you, so I can get the free veggies. I have too many trees to plant a garden. I tried planting veggies in buckets, but It did not work very well. At these prices I am going to try planting in buckets again next year.

Bonnie your food is alot cheaper than in my town. I paid $2.50 per lb. for tomato yesterday and $3.00 for cantaloupe. I have to buy less produce now, because of the prices. It's not just produce everything has gone up in price.

When we had the old WMT, their prices were lower. Now the new Supercenter prices are sky high. I buy from the farmer market when I can, because the produce taste better, but even they are expensive.
    Ann

• kaye
    15 years ago

We've appreciated the garden more than ever this year because of the food prices. My husband has just set out his 3rd crop of tomato plants, so we've enjoyed and canned a lot.

Speaking of prices..I just paid $11.94 for a sack of corn for the critters! That's almost double from last month. Fertilizer has more than doubled from last year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting