Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serviceberry tree

Posted by peaceofmind 6 MO (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 17:28

Christie, if I remember correctly, you and I bought serviceberry trees from Mo Conservation at the same time a few years ago. How are yours doing? I have around six planted around the yard and they are just barely hanging on. They are the japanese beetles favorite snack and they just have a few sad looking leaves left. I hope yours are doing better.
Anise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serviceberry tree

I was so disappointed when I noticed that Japanese Beetles were eating my serviceberries. They like a lot of fruits. They defoliated my grapes and Balaton Cherry that I bought last year, they like raspberries, blackberries and crabapples... I put up beetle traps in the middle of our hayfield this year to try to draw them away from the yard and it helped a little bit. I still had a lot of damage.

What I've noticed over the years though is that trees can handle being defoliated pretty well. They don't look very good when they're leafless but they'll look great again next spring. I don't think they'll die. It's frustrating though.

Are you going to keep yours? Mine are all in the back yard and along the fence line so looks aren't too important.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here