Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtle0soup

Can You Identify This Snake For Me?

turtle0soup
18 years ago

i don't think it's a very good picture, sorry.. but i think you can see it?

(and i'm new to this website i just needed to know about this snake)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/turtle0soup/snake.jpg

that's the picture.

Comments (12)

• turtle0soup
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the picture makes it look very large, but i think it's probably about a foot long. give or take.

• DPallas
    18 years ago

I found something exactly like that, but only about 8" long, just the other day. Since there are so many adult Black Rat Snakes around, and I've never seen an adult Kingsnake here, I guessed it was one of those. There are photos of what they look like when they get older at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Rat Snake

• gldno1
    18 years ago

This is a good site for showing snakes of Missouri. There is also a site for poisonous snakes. This site is the non-poisonous. Maybe you can take a look and compare. I couldn't figure out if your snake was one of these or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Non-poisonous snakes of Missouri

• Butterbean_Z8
    18 years ago

Guessing its a juvenile racer.

• pamcrews
    18 years ago

I'm getting ready to move to SW Missouri but now you guys are scaring me....snakes.....yukkie, yukkie, yukkie......

Pam

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

Is it bad luck to say that I've gone my whole life without seeing a copperhead or any other poisonous snake? (except at the zoo) I know we have them in Missouri and not doubting anyone that's seen one. Maybe I've just been lucky. I spent soooo much time outdoors when I was young. We went hiking in the woods a lot and had cattle so I was around pastures hauling hay and such. Maybe I was just lucky but I'm going to say to Pam not to worry. Poisonous snakes are not very common. But - instinct tells me not to wall through brushy areas around ponds or anything marshy looking. Maybe that's why I've never seen one. lol
    I do see a lot of garter snakes but they're small and easy to identify so not scary since there are no poisonous snakes with stripes like that.
    Turtle0soup - I just noticed you're in Georgia. Gardenweb also has a Georgia Gardener forum (you posted in the Ozarks forum). It may be a snake that we don't have here. If you don't get an answer there, you could try the Pest forum or Southern Gardening forum on Gardenweb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Gardener

• pamcrews
    18 years ago

I hope I have your same luck Christie. Don't mind the black garden snake because they are usually on the run before I see them....but the one that hangs from the tree and barns.....Ugh!

Pam

• helenh
    18 years ago

Copperheads come out in the evening. In the day they are hiding under things. I see most of them in July when the cicadas come out. I killed one once with 14 cicadas in it. I can find them any evening I look for them. One evening I saw three at once in my mother's yard. I go out with a hoe, a flashlight and a garden hose. If they go under a shrub, squirt them with the hose and they may come out where you can get them. The water also makes them move so you can see them. I don't kill other snakes and I love to see salt and pepper king snakes because they eat copperheads. I would be very angry if anyone killed my pretty garter snakes. I just don't think you should put up with venomous snakes where you could step on them. Don't worry Florida girl, I live where there is brush and woods all around. You may not have this much cover.

• pamcrews
    18 years ago

Helenh...you sound like a very brave woman! You actually go out hunting for the snake...ugh! Double ugh! My husband and I hope to have a couple of acres once we move up there...was hoping for some wooded areas on the property.....ugh....I'll always think of this at dusk now....UGH UGH UGH! Yukie, Yukie, Yukie......

Pam....maybe I should just stay put and deal with hurricanes.....

• helenh
    18 years ago

I have lived here since 1959 and have not yet been hurt by a snake. In that time I have had a lot more trouble with storms and lightning. A copperhead is not a large snake. They are not agressive. The problem is they will lie still and blend in very well with the color of rocks and leaves. If you step on them they will bite. A person who is looking for them will see them. It is the person not paying attention or putting their limbs in risky places who is more likely get bit. I use a hoe to move rocks or logs before I put my hands under them. I don't step out at night without a flashlight. I wear tall rubber boots when I go in the weeds (not sure if they are high enough though). I have only been in the edge of a hurricane and that was much more frightening than a little snake.

• wayne_mo
    18 years ago

The snake in the picture is an adult Dekay's Brown Snake. They are small nonvenomous completely harmless snakes and at 12 inches it is a full-grown adult.

• sssmith816_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

People r telling me different things. I live in Faucett MO., and yesturday we caught this snake crossing a back hwy.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES