Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Honeydew critter damage

christie_sw_mo
13 years ago

Is anyone good at telling what kind of animal ate part of a honeydew? I haven't seen my groundhog since last fall so I was hoping I wouldn't have any stolen melons this year.

If I cover the patch with chicken wire, will that keep most animals out?

Actually I'm not sure it's a honeydew. I didn't keep track of what I planted.

Comments (8)

• helenh
    13 years ago

That is something to be mad about after waiting all this time for it to get ripe. How many melons do you have to protect?

• rmactavy
    13 years ago

It looks like a big nasty front tooth chomped down on your pretty melon! My vote is it's the groundhog. We have terrible groundhog problems. Chicken wire works if you anchor it to the ground VERY securely. Our clever critters eventually found a way under it. I took off the chicken wire backing up our field fencing. I then strung some electric wire (2" tape type cuz I had it around) about 3-4" from the ground in front of the field fence. I used 6" extenders. I hooked up a powerful charger (one I used when we had our longhair Scottish Highland steers). So far, no groundhogs in the garden (no rabbits or squirrels either except one day the charger wasn't working). I still see the groundhogs under the apple tree making a dash to hide under the chicken house when I go out so I know they're still around. We had so many we had to resort to the unthinkable. Now we just have a couple. For years we just lived and let live. They went forth and multiplied until we had to take drastic measures.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I feel your pain. I lost every single melon some time ago to what I though was possums. Now after seeing a groundhog waddling across the field I am not so sure.

tavy, we take drastic action whenever possible here.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I scrubbed that one with antibacterial soap and cut off the eaten part. The remaining half was very good. My hubby was impressed.
    I got anxious and picked another one that turned out to be too green so I guess I should have waited for the varmint to let me know when it was ripe. I'm blaming it for that loss too. lol

• helenh
    13 years ago

You are so smart or maybe determined to eat that melon. Would it be possible to protect each individual melon as it nears the ripe stage. Like an little individual cage.

• rmactavy
    13 years ago

Christie... Have you seen the trouble maker or figured out a solution yet?

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I need football helmets to put on them. lol
    I wonder if it could be a skunk. That's the only thing that I've seen near my yard recently except for a field mouse and I don't think a field mouse could do that.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I wonder if a bag like onions come in would deter them.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider