Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

Gearing up for the heat wave!

proudgm_03
15 years ago

They are calling for hot temps this weekend and heat indices of 110 or higher on Monday. I guess it will be back to watering for me.

Comments (8)

• helenh
    15 years ago

Oh no the dogs will have to dig new holes. Does anyone else have hot dogs forever in search of a cool place with the hostas and impatience.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I have two dogs that digs holes daily to stay cool. I spend a lot of time filling in holes. I no longer have a shade garden, because they dug up the plants to find a cool spot. I put up chicken wire, but they just dug under it, so I guess the garden went to the dogs. Love them anyway.
    Ann

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Yep, these are the "Dog Days of Summer" alright!
    A period of summer, coined in ancient times, said to be the hottest period of the season in the Northern Hemisphere.
    The Old Farmer's Almanac lists it as the 40 days, occurring between July 3 & August 11.
    Once believed to be caused by the confluence of the sun and the "Dog Star", Sirius (in the constellation Canis), the brightest star in the night sky and popularly believed to be an evil time "when the seas boiled, wine turned sour, dogs grew mad, and all creatures became languid, causing to man burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies" - (BradyÂs Clavis Calendarium, 1813)

Don't believe any of that still occurs in modern times, but the heat does limit outdoor activities, especially in the garden. Mine is on auto-pilot, until I can work there, without having to retreat inside every couple of hours to rehydrate! Even the weeds get a reprieve!

Dog Days, bright and clear,
    indicate a happy year
    But when accompanied by rain
    for better times, our hopes are vain
    /unknown/

Everyone keep cool!

Rb

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Oh yes; I have one of those dogs. I have lost track of how many holes he has dug. I don't even want to think of how many plants I have lost because of his digging!

I need to get out and mow but the 95° temperature has kept me inside. I guess I will brave it later on in the late afternoon.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Yes, quite warm here. Went into town to do some shopping "Lowes". Wanted to do this so I could go outside this evening.
    Yes Mahala digs a wee bit of a hole as well. Rather she has one hole she re adjusts every once n' awhile. I have learned to dump water down in the hole of an evening so it stays cooler. She has it so she backs down into the hole and her head and front paws are out. She looks ridiculous. with that underbite and goofy "look at me mom" face. Just laugh and go on.
    Yes I'm going to go mow sunday evening.
    Bonnie

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bonnie you must post a pic of Mahala. I would love to see that. My dog is an inside dog so no hole digging thank goodness.

Razorback 33 I'm not so sure that it doesn't still affect us as it's been known to cause me "hysterics and phrenzies". LOL! Anything over 70 is too hot for me.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Bonnie, i really want to see your mahala in her hole too. She's kinda special to me anyway because of her name. My dogs stay inside too.
    I've a deer that has come to almost my backdoor to eat lettuce leaves and a watermellon rind i put out for bees and butterflys. GS said the hunting was going to be easy this fall. I don't think so. She's a neighbor and we don't shoot the neighbors.

LOL Those hot temps give me the hysterics and phrenzies too.

I went to Lowes in Russelville yesterday and the temp was 107 on a bank thermometer.My weather forcast says we may get some cooler temps by midweek

I'm watering almost everyday and most things are at least still green. One daylily still blooming.still getting tomatoes and cukes.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Oh she isn't an all time outdoor dog. I just make her go out w/me. as well as put her out to "exercise" I have to brush her down every time before I bring her back inside. I bathe her outside in the summer . My granddaughter helped me friday p.m. She likes to fluff up her hair w/shampoo to make her "pretty". Hey at least she doesn't make her sit still while she puts in hair bows any more. Poor "little" thing would give me the look "I'm only doing this so I can have a treat at the end". I'LL have to look and see if I have any pics on my computer of her. Since someone stole my camera when they broke in last summer. I never have gotten a new one. That need's to go on my list.
    Bonnie

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure