Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Black widow

jspeachyn5
15 years ago

Alright, If any one heard a loud scream today... It was me. I hardly ever scream or any thing when I see a spider any more since I have them all over the bottom of my yard.

How ever, I was reaching down for the hose to wash off cleaner from gutters... yep there he/she was! I just about fell over the hose I was trying to back up so quick, since it was moving my way.

I don't know where it came from but hope it finds a new home some place far, far away. asap.

That is the first time I have ever seen one of those here.

I mostly see those big black hairy one that are not tarantulas, but still gross me out when I mow.

Bonnie

Comments (8)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I would be looking for a good spray to go around the foundation!

At least they are outside unlike the brown recluses which favor buildings.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I had one in the bathroom of the old house I used to live in. Then last fall when the grandkids and I were cleaning out the garden we went to move a concrete block and there was one on it. It went off in the grass and I stomped and squished all over but I don't know if I got it. Unfortunately, I've heard where there is one there are others. I haven't seen any in the garden this year. They are easy to identify without seeing the hourglass because they are so shiny.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh I knew what it was as soon as I saw it. Just wasn't expecting it on the hose I had been using all day.
    I got to looking on-line last p.m.
    I think I may have killed the male a little earlyer before I saw the female.
    Was sitting on the brick on house. at first I thought it was a garden spider. went to get my glasses and I had nevere seen one like it. So shen I was serching it appears to be the male. The site I was looking at said they are sometines in a close area of each other.
    Yuck
    I would expect to see it back by the wood pile.
    I am going to Lowes on Wednesday. Will look for something to go around the foundation.

• helenh
    15 years ago

You may have washed it out of a hidden place with your cleaning. Behind the downspout might be a good place for them.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I have problem with brown recluses. The are in my attached garage. Hubby is always spraying. Sometimes they get into the house. I am scared of spiders. They creap me out. I would have been screaming too!

• helenh
    15 years ago

I am not afraid of spiders, but brown recluse and black widow can really hurt you. I think I would prefer getting bit by my copperheads than a brown recluse that got a good bite in. I have brown recluse in my house; I buy loads of those sticky mouse traps. They are more effective than sprays I think. I put them under furniture and behind books in bookshelves. Most spiders are harmless, a little army constantly eating bugs for me. I don't like the ones that make cob webs in your house, but I consider most others my friends.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Helen, what kinda of strips do you use? It would beat smelling that spray?

We have alot of brown recluse in the garage, but I have only seen a couple in the house. The stripes should be safer than the spray.
    Thanks
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

These are glue mouse traps get them anywhere. They may not really be more effective than sprays. I just don't see much of a difference when I spray. I don't have the spiders all the time. It seems like there is a time in warm weather when they are moving around. Maybe they have a breeding season or something. I would almost rather a spider than the sprays. Sometimes the glue traps have a grain scent but that fades. Don't put them where your dog's tail gets caught when there is thunder. It causes severe emotional stress.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus