Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

what are the critters gonna eat this winter?

sweetwm007
16 years ago

after the devastating late spring freeze, i have been thinking all summer on what the turkeys, deer, squirrels, woodpeckers and bluebirds are going to eat this winter?!

william- in yellville

Comments (7)

• oakleif
    16 years ago

William, I've been thinking about that too and we've got a lot of critters to think about. I've got several little mini fields that have grass and flower seeds for birds and other little animals plus DD and i will have feeders up. I think the turkeys can scrounge elderberries and grasses, I think they'll eat corn I'll keep some out for deer plus if i can find some bales of hay.I'll scatter that later in the winter. I think there will be some muscadines as they bloom later than the freeze. I don't think there will be acorn or hickory nuts. That will hurt the most. I have'nt been out in the woods to see what all is out there.
    That blasted bear is completely on his own. He'll probably be shot during hunting season anyway.
    vickie

• kaye
    16 years ago

I am glad to see the persimmons! I usually cuss the things since they come up all over the garden..but there is a decent crop here at least. Saw a pileated 'pecker the other morning munching down on the poke berries. We keep corn chops out year round for the squirrels and birds.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Saw 2 green acorns on the ground yesterday so maybe there will be some acorns this year.
    My pilated woodpecker is munching down on pokeberries too. He is the most vocal bird around and always announces his prescence.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I was surprised to see acorns on my pin oak but I didn't notice how many. I think you're right that they'll be short on food. I don't have any pecans, my gray dogwoods are usually heavy with berries and they had almost zero this year, and my flowering dogwood didn't make any fruit. I saw a squirrel running off with a big ol' green walnut in his mouth a couple days ago but I think there won't be many of those either. They may be pricey this year. Does anyone have cedar trees? Those usually provide a lot of food. I wonder how they did this year.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

no acorns, walnuts or hickory nuts here. nothing!

william

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

actually seeing some acorns and a few walnuts around. feel a little better.

deer are really moving about. saw 8 today!

william- in the middle of the turkey trot in yellville!!!!!!!!!

• mulberryknob
    16 years ago

Oak trees come in two main divisions concerning how they mature their acorns. The white oak group--including white oak, post oak, overcup, bur, swamp and chinkapin all bear acorns that mature in one season. None of these trees are bearing acorns around our place this year. The red oak group takes two seasons to bear acorns. The trees of this group that bloomed last spring (o7)will not bear next year, but the ones that bloomed spring before last(06) are maturing acorns right now. Luckily the red oak group is larger. But we have no walnuts, no mulberries, no persimmons, no redbud seeds. We do have a small crop of large flowered dogwood berries. DL at mulberryknob