Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

the beginning of a cold frame

sweetwm007
15 years ago

someone suggested this. there are going to be a lot of angles here. ain't looking forward to this.

william

Comments (26)

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

Be sure to keep us posted on each step, otherwise you'll have to make one for all of us! Looking good so far...

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

We will all be checking in to see how you are doing.
    You know everything will turn out great william.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Uuhhhh. That someone was probably me. It is looking good!
    What's cutting angles to a craftsman like you.....

• bunny6
    15 years ago

The top looks great! Where is my other half, Ha Ha. How did you get the glass to stay in? I have part of mine built. The side and back, but I am not sure on how to attach the glass to the top or how to prop up the gass when it gets too hot. Keep us posted on how you built it. Mine is made out of treated lumber. You always do good work.
    Ann

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Bunny, my mother In-law just used a brick to crack it open. flat for a little on end for more. She had a screen hook on it to hook it on the side of the chicken coop if she wanted it all the way open. You know country folk, we use what we have first. lol.
    But you could go a more fancy route too.
    Bonnie

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Bonnie, what a great idea! I have plenty of bricks. I like this forum, because I am always learning things.
    Ann

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here are the sides of the cold frame. i will post pictures as i go along for those of you that are interested.
    william

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Thanks a bunch. It is looking very nice. I will be starting a file for this. Then I can add this project to my still in the talk stages "old windows- saved from tornado wood in pole barn- greenhouse".....

Now, there would be a project for you, William.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Looking good William.
    I thought you already had a greenhouse, at least from the photos we have seen.
    Did you say this frame is going to be up off the ground?
    Are you going to use soil less mix to help cut down on the weight?
    I think this will be great. I don't like to get down low on the ground too much. Makes for very sore body. lol
    Bonnie

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i do have a greenhouse i built.

i am going to put legs on it so you don't have to bend over. and yes, i think soiless mix is the way to go.

so much to do and so little energy.

william

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

got the legs on and will work on the bottom tomorrow plus some trim.
    william

• helenh
    15 years ago

I think that is going to be very useful. It is pretty enough to have right by your house in a handy spot.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

It is a thing of beauty....what will you use for the lid?

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

William, are you going to you this?
    gldno1 The first pic is the top w/glass. Right??
    Bonnie

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes, the lid was the first pic. trimmed the sides today and mounted the lid.
    william

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

getting a little closer.
    william

• helenh
    15 years ago

Now its time to plant. What are you planning to grow first? I would plant leaf lettuce.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Very, very nice.

Do you have something planned to do next?

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

finished it today.

have nothing planned next and it is very difficult to come up with original ideas. i really appreciate you all posting pictures of your gardens and structures.
    william

• helenh
    15 years ago

I have all sorts of projects I'm interested in. A small pool, make new daylily beds etc., but I don't seem to get around to it. Don't you ever procrastinate. You start a project and finish it - amazing!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

William, I can't remember if you have built any plant stands, you know the various level ones that would hold maybe three pots of plants, a free-standing type thing for porches or patios.

I'm think here of things I would enjoy!

A potting table with a section to hold the potting soil and one for doing the work.

Various obelisks, both pointed at top with finial or the straighter versions. Used for middle of beds for heights to hold clematis or pillar type roses.

Window boxes with legs that would fit under windows (for those of us who don't want to attach them to the siding)

Small arbors,not big elaborate things.

Fancy garden gates.

Garden benches (I have a very simple one from white cedar that I bought 15 years ago from an eastern company online.

You can google all these and find great pictures.....if you get bored.
    Oh, thought of another one,
    Bird houses with their own stand/post for middle of beds.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Hey what about a type of shelf system.
    For potted plants. Not the little size, maybe medium? That can stair step a couple across and then up. So they are better displayed. ?
    Just something I keep thinking of. I stagger some of mine on different things now, to get that effect.
    You know William we all have so many ideas you would never lack for ideas.
    My lace is the knowledge of "how" when it comes to power tools. They intimidate me. So only use a few. lol
    Bonnie

• helenh
    15 years ago

I like the obelisk, arbors, and fancy garden gate ideas. I see those obelisks in magazines and wish for them.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i appreciate all the feedback. it sure helps. what a nice place to visit.

william

• outinthecountry
    15 years ago

Wow, William! Your cold frame is too pretty to fill with dirt! Looks like it will do a great job.
    Tammy

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks tammy and welcome to the ozark forum.
    william

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz