Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

first copperhead of the summer

helenh
10 years ago

This puts a damper on my habit of going out at night with a flashlight. My darling Honey escaped his radio fence today. A part of his fence has not been working and he hadn't found out until today. In fixing the fence I spied a lovely Laura Bush petunia blooming in the weeds. I was on my way to dig it up this evening when I saw this beautiful snake. The petunia is staying where it is blooming and I am glad I got Honey's fence working because I was tramping through the brush today in this very spot.

Comments (3)

• gldno1
    10 years ago

Helen that is a perfectly beautiful picture. I have never seen one live! Now I know what to look for. Stay out of tall weeds, please.

Our neighbor has the radio fence thing for her dogs. We are considering one for Sugar. How do you get it to cross the fence if you want to take the dog for a long walk or like DH to the fields when he checks the cattle?

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

Do you usually wear boots Helen? I hope you do, especially at night.
    I can still say that I've never seen one on our property. If I ever do, I'll be nervous about sticking my arm into tall vegetation to pull weeds for a long time.
    Have you seen the wireless collars they make for dogs?
    It gives the dog a 90 foot radius from where the unit is plugged in but no wire in the ground. The dog gets a warning beep and then a shock if they get too close. Some friends have one for their dog and like it. It might get interference from your neighbor's radio fence though.

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought the first radio fence years ago and at the time the wireless ones were more expensive. I dangle the yellow wire on top of the ground. The area I gave the dogs at first was too large for me to bury the wire. I also didn't train the dogs like they say to do. All I did was put the collar on so it only beeps no shock for a while. Then I put it on shock after the dog knew where it would beep. Beau and Honey don't like beeps that is why it is hard to get pictures. My camera makes a dangerous beep noise.

The fence works very well for Honey. It didn't work for Blackie. It worked for Beau until Blackie trained him to run through it. Honey is afraid of the yellow wire and sometimes barks at it even the part that wasn't working. He got out because the yellow wire was so buried in weeds that he didn't see it.

Glenda you could let the dog ride in the truck to go over the wire. You take the collar off so the dog isn't shocked or I guess you could unplug the transmitter. The dog won't cross it unless you give it stewed chicken and talk in a high pitched voice. Come on Beau its OK. Get down on your knees dog level and inch across the area with food a few inches from the dogs head etc. Your neighbors may have a solution I didn't. Beau used to go out but couldn't cross the wire to come home.

I never could figure out where to put a permanent fence because of the well, utility poles, need to get through the yard to the field and ditch that has water when it rains a lot. The radio fence is better than no fence. Blackie was hit and killed at age 14 because he wouldn't stay home. At least I can tell myself he wouldn't have lived much longer anyway and he had fun on his trips. I can not bear to think of Honey fighting coyotes and bobcats and crossing the road.