Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For HelenH--multiplying naked ladies.

Posted by mulberryknob z6OK (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 23:00

I would like to know how to stop my naked ladies from multiplying. I have enough and I am tired of digging old plantings, but dig I must because after a bulb has been in the ground a few years it has put out so many new bulbs that the clump doesn't bloom well. Today I dug one clump that had 16 bulbs where I had put one a few years ago--nine were blooming but 5 didn't and next year even fewer would. If you are having trouble getting them to multiply, it could be that you are planting them too deep, a common mistake. They do best with the bulbs just barely covered to the neck--not 6 inches down as some think.

Many years ago, when I would dig a clump and damage one with the fork or shovel, I would throw it into the woods. Within a few years, I noticed naked ladies blooming in the woods. Since then I have planted a couple hundred by walking down my driveway and throwing bulbs onto the ground in the woods. I usually do this in early Oct so the leaves cover them when they fall. I now have hundreds of them lining my block long driveway. These things are tough as nails and thrive on neglect. I never do anything to mine but dig them and give away or throw where I want some more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For HelenH--multiplying naked ladies.

You say you put them in the woods. They tolerate shade? I haven't been digging mine up. I may move some after they finish blooming. Thanks.

o

My next door neighbor has had naked ladies for over ten years and she never divides them and they bloom each year. I think they are beautiful, she planted her's around trees and they look so pretty when they bloom. I don't know how to stop something form dividing. My daylilies have to be divided every couple of years or they won't bloom very well, so this year I am giving all of them to my aunt in the fall. I am tired of digging them up.

o

My problem is I don't get rid of the average looking or even ugly ones. I move them to the vegetable weed patch. I threw one in a compost pile and it continued to grow and I got it out again. I have some beautiful daylilies and some that bloom for a long time. I should divide those and dump the average.

o

For me naked ladies bloom better in the shade. That is the blooms last longer. Out in full sun all day, the blooms tend to sunburn and fade faster. And since the tops do most of their growing Jan -April before the trees leaf out they get plenty of sun when they need it. Dorothy

o

They would also get their moisture then, so I could plant them in tough spots that I don't water in August. Now that they are blooming and I know where they are, I should divide them and move them. Gee why didn't I think of that before.

o

You can divide naked ladies two times without sacrificing a lot of bloom. After the foliage dies in late May and after the flowers finish in August. But if you try to dig them earlier than May you will cause the bloom bud to abort. Actually if you can find the bulbs after they bloom, you can dig them up to the first of Oct as long as you relplant them immediately. Dorothy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here