Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

For HelenH--multiplying naked ladies.

mulberryknob
15 years ago

I would like to know how to stop my naked ladies from multiplying. I have enough and I am tired of digging old plantings, but dig I must because after a bulb has been in the ground a few years it has put out so many new bulbs that the clump doesn't bloom well. Today I dug one clump that had 16 bulbs where I had put one a few years ago--nine were blooming but 5 didn't and next year even fewer would. If you are having trouble getting them to multiply, it could be that you are planting them too deep, a common mistake. They do best with the bulbs just barely covered to the neck--not 6 inches down as some think.

Many years ago, when I would dig a clump and damage one with the fork or shovel, I would throw it into the woods. Within a few years, I noticed naked ladies blooming in the woods. Since then I have planted a couple hundred by walking down my driveway and throwing bulbs onto the ground in the woods. I usually do this in early Oct so the leaves cover them when they fall. I now have hundreds of them lining my block long driveway. These things are tough as nails and thrive on neglect. I never do anything to mine but dig them and give away or throw where I want some more.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living