Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Naked Lady bulbs too crowded to bloom

mulberryknob
16 years ago

A few years ago I got over 800 stems of Naked Ladies. This year only about 200. The bulbs are still in the ground, just too crowded to bloom. Would anyone like to have some when I dig this fall? Would anyone like to come dig on the halves? Does anyone have anything to offer in trade? Make me an offer.

Comments (6)

• ceresone
    16 years ago

There is someone on homesteadingtoday forum wanting these bulbs--she has a trade list.
    Also, another person said if you can find them, they sell for $10. per bulb.

• calokie Ables
    16 years ago

I may be interested in digging on the halves. Where are you? Where are the bulbs, in a clean area? I am extremely allergic to poision ivy & oak.

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Calokie, I am near Stilwell, in Adair County. Yes, they are in a clean area--under grass. I too am extremely allergic to poison ivy and oak and have been spraying every sprig I see with Roundup for years. Let me know if you would like to come dig. Ceresone, I know that some nurseries sell for $10 a bulb. But I googled and found others that sell ranging from $3 to $7, I assume small bulbs. A local nursery let me sell some for $.50 because they are so common here--and they didn't all sell. I personally think the price is kept high because they multiply so rapidly and if people bought many they would soon be overwhelmed with the things. I've given away at least a thousand--probably more in the last 15 years. But I've been growing them for 38 years having inherited 26 from my grandmother back then.

• pinkspoonbill
    16 years ago

I sent you an email a few days ago, but suspect it didn't go through b/c another GW email didn't go through today. I was just wondering if you had the naked lady bulbs still available, and what the postage would be on those, and how big they are. Would a few of them fit in a SASE standard size with bubble padding and two stamps? Would it be worth trying to start a clump of them with only a few bulbs? Can I leave them in the ground over the winters (zone 7)? I am in central Arkansas, and go through OK only when traveling to the TX panhandle on occasion, passing through OKC and other towns on that freeway. Check out my short trade list for any other seeds/starts you may want/have. Thanks.

• louisehintz
    16 years ago

Hello, I hope you can help me. A friend is giving me some Naked Lady bulbs. How deep should I plant them and how far apart? Do they like sun or shade? Thank you!

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome,louisehintz,
    Here in zone 7 I plant them shallowly, because I have rocky soil, with the neck of the bulb just at ground level. I have also planted dozens by throwing them on the ground in the woods in September and letting the leaves cover them. It takes them three years to bloom but they do live and bloom. I like to plant them a good 10-12" apart in each direction because otherwise they will have to be dug and replanted sooner than I want to. They bloom best in filtered shade under trees. Out in the sun they don't last as long. The foliage will emerge in January. It is important to allow it to die back naturally before removing it--in May here. Then in late July, early Aug after a rain they will bloom. Watch for the Hawk Moth to visit them at dusk.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting