Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

hummingbirds left?

helenh
19 years ago

I have ten hummingbird feeders. I had been mixing up batches of sugar water just about every day. It was a job refilling and cleaning my feeders. The birds were zooming around too many and too fast to count. Two weekends ago, I was busy and the feeders went dry. The hummers went away all except about five. I am keeping the feeders filled, but they are not coming back. What happened?

Comments (12)

• garden_gal_fl (z10)
    19 years ago

HI Helen. I think your hummers have taken off for the winter. They have a long trip south to make. No worries though, come spring they'll be right back to your feeders.

Darlene

• christie_sw_mo
    19 years ago

It's early for them to leave isn't it? I wonder if they're expecting an early winter.

• ceresone
    19 years ago

every year, about half of our "hummers" leave the second ,or third week of August. then, gradually, the rest leave, i always have a few hardy ones that stay untill the second week of October. i was mixing up three gallon of feed a day for them, and refilling nine feeders twice a day, so the first day i noticed i didnt need to refill twice, i knew the time had come(sob), havent figured if its the babies, or adults that leave first, but i know i feel as bad as the day MY last baby left the nest.hope they make it across the gulf without a hurricane-

• FourSeasons
    19 years ago

I think it's a bit early for them to be leaving, too! I remember years when they were thick up to the last part of September. You're right, Christie....I'm wondering if it means an early winter, too!

• Bettyjg
    19 years ago

mine where gone for a few days then I got about thesame number again think some times they do move on a bit then the next batch comes through

will miss them when they leave. kept me entertained many a evening

Bettyjg

• enchantedplace
    19 years ago

Two or three weeks ago we were continually filling 3 quart sized feeders. This week they have hardly been touched but we still have a few hummers both male and female. We have a lot of salvia and agastache. Last year they were around until mid October. We usually leave the feeders up until we are sure they are gone. There is always still plenty of salvia and Mexican bush sage blooming at the time they leave. EP

• kaye
    19 years ago

We're still filling feeder 2-3 times a day, at least the smaller window feeders. The count is up right now with the migrators coming thru.

• mscratch
    19 years ago

They are clearing out of here now..we had 4 last week and now down to 2 as of yesterday, late afternoon..I will miss them!

• FourSeasons
    19 years ago

Now they are all gone -- only bees on the feeders. I'll keep them up until frost. Maybe I'll get some honey out of it next year....

• stacylsnider_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We had several hummingbirds about 3 weeks ago. I was constantly filling feeders. Our birds came in April. It is only June 1 and all but one female bird is gone.
    We have several feeders and lots of flowers. What happened.

• ceresone
    12 years ago

i imagine they're still there, busy caring for babies right now. You should see activity just after daylight, and just before dusk.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

We don't have near the activity here we had last year.