Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Does Anyone Know this Plant

gldno1
16 years ago

I have been watching this seedling for a while now; it appeared in a flower bed by the drive. I have never seen a leaf that shape. Does anyone know what it might be?

Comments (14)

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

It's a tulip tree. I had several seedlings this year. I normally don't have any at all from my tree and have even tried to winter sow them with no luck. Maybe the weather conditions were just right for them to germinate.
    They're a nice tree but not something you'd want hanging over your house from what I've read since they will drop limbs occasionally. But the birds will eat the seeds out of the upright pods and it's kind of cool to watch. It looks like they're eating out of a cup. Those big yellow Tiger Swallowtail use tulip tree as a host plant too.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Strange; I don't have one and don't know of anyone near who has one. I wondered about it being a tulip tree because of the shape. Thanks.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Maybe a present from a bird. : )
    I left my seedlings for now. My bigger tulip tree (about 14 or 15 years old) looked pretty bad after the ice storm. It didn't have much more than a trunk left and we thought about cutting it down but didn't. I thought I might need one of those seedlings to replace it but it's still alive so far.

I had a box elder tree volunteer this spring and can't remember ever seeing one. Maybe it's something pretty common but it was new to me and I had to post a picture to ask what it was.

• grnthumber
    16 years ago

Yep, definitely a tulip tree. I've considered one in the past, but it loses alot of leaves every year (there's a huge one down the street), and it would get too tall for my little house.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the id and confirmation. I will definitely plant it somewhere in the yard. We have lost too many trees due to storms lately and I want to replace any that I can.

I have never had the redbud seed itself anywhere, but this year I have maybe 5 sizable saplings in various flower beds. I am rescuing them too!

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Don't wait too long to dig up the red buds if you want to move them. I had a few volunteers in my mulch and decided to use them to trade with but they had some surprisingly established roots for no bigger than they were. I had to do a lot of digging and of course that's not easy in our rocky soil. They transplanted ok but you will save yourself some work if you do it when they're little. I love redbuds and have three in my yard. They're supposed to be good to garden under since they are deep rooted. Most of the trees I have are shallow rooted which is a shame because I love shade gardens. My shade plants struggle (or die) in the summer.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

christie, thank for the heads up on the redbud roots. I have one that is maybe 6-7 feet tall, one maybe 5 feet and some that have just barely come up, maybe 12 inches or so and one about 36 inches. I can't leave the taller ones because they are right at the foundation so they have to go. I thought I should wait until dormancy. What do you think?

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I think if you dig up a six foot redbud you're going to wish you had just killed it and bought another one at Wal-Mart. lol
    But - you can always try. Maybe it will be in an area where it's easy to dig. Mine were under 3 foot tall but close to some shrubs so I had to deal with trying to get the redbuds out without killing my shrubs. The twelve inch ones should be pretty easy to move.
    I always wonder when I see people offer 3 foot trees for trade if they have any idea how hard they're going to be to dig and mail. The roots can be nearly as long as the tree is tall.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It amazes me that they could be that long in one season. I know these weren't here last year because they are in beds I work in weekly. Plants are amazing things.

Should I wait for dormancy or go for it now the ground is so wet?

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

That I don't know. I like to move trees and shrubs in late February/early March but have read many times that you can move them in the fall too.

• micke
    16 years ago

You can move them now:)

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I will give it a try today if it doesn't rain again.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Gld, do not plant the tulip tree too close to your house. They grow huge very fast. They also drop a lot of twigs.
    I wish I had known this when I planted one just 15 feet or so from our house! I love the tree, but sure wish it were farther away!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip Marian. I haven't moved it yet.I found another seedling near it, I am sure it is a sassafras. I am happy to see it. I want one for the fall color. I will move it quickly since I understand they are difficult to transplant.