Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunny6_gw

Does Anyone Grow Banana Tree?

bunny6
15 years ago

I want to grow banana plants next year. I saw them in a yard in town and they looked awesome. The person had Elephant Ears planted around them. I looked on the internet, but there are so many to choose from, so I got overwhelmed. If any of you guys grow them, please let me know. For instance, do I have to replant it each year and how tall does a dwarf one get. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ann

Comments (20)

• helenh
    15 years ago

I think there is a somewhat hardy one - don't know to what zone.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Check out the gardener's notes.

Here is a link that might be useful: hardy banana

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Helen! It looks what I am looking for. I was going to put it into a small garden, but I think the leaves may shadow the plants under it, so now I am going to put it into a large 1/2 whiskey barrell on my patio, because it gets the most sun.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I hope Kaye sees this and comments. If not, you may want to look for some of her past photos. She's got a green thumb with her bananas. I'm wondering if some bananas have leaves that tear easier than others because some of the ones I have seen didn't look very good. The leaves were shredded. I've seen others that looked great though.

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I could not search for Kaye's post, because I could not find a method to search this forum. I did search the banana forum and found out a lot of info., but not specific answers to questions I have. I hope Kaye sees this post.

Christie you are right, I have seen banana plants with split leaves. I wonder if the wind splits the leaves. I am going to try one in the spring and the worst thing that can happen is it will die.
    Thanks everyone!
    Ann

• kaye
    15 years ago

Ann, my post was on page 2 and I linked it below. The ones I have in the ground won't get nearly that large in a barrel but may not be hardy for you if left out over winter in there. There is a Musa Bajoo that will be hardy for you and I leave mine in the ground here. Also, the Chinese Yellow always comes back. I think Beerhog posted a picture of his when it was blooming.

If you look in the 3rd picture, right above Buckwheat's (my dog) head, you'll see a red leafed variety that stays pretty small here. The leaves are stronger and don't tend to shred in the wind. All of these we dig and store over winter but we do have some come back from missed roots in a fairly mild winter.

We had to take 2 of the biggest out today after Ike paid a visit last night! The wind broke the about 4' off the ground..first time we've had that happen in all these years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana pictures

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Kaye - Sorry to hear about your Ike damage. I hope they come back next year with no problem. We got lots of rain but if there was wind, I must've slept through it. Do you know what the name of the red leafed variety is?

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Kaye,
    Will they be alright for next year? Are these the one you normally dig up each fall?
    Do you have you banana and others planted in an area the is protected from wind? I was thinking that there were other trees in the back ground of you beautiful pictures.
    I am going to put a bed in this year w/this type of plants and feel. Was curious as to how you had yours laid out, if you don't mind my asking. I just am hoping after all the work and planning I have been doing that I am not going about this the wrong way.
    Bonnie

• kaye
    15 years ago

Christi, no, I don't know the variety of the red leafed one..but Beerhog might. He's the one that gave them to me.

Bonnie, the two big trees we lost had already put up pups that are about 5-6' tall..we'll save those as well as the rest of the big ones. The bed is well protected from the south winds here but Ike gave us a strong NW wind which did the damage. We lost a white redbud, too. Pulled it totally out of the ground and rocked some rose bushes.

As to layout, that tropical bed is nothing but dirt in the wintertime. When we cut down all the trees and elephant ears and dig, we throw all the leaves back on it to compost over winter. Helps to protect what roots are left if it's a mild winter and also acts as compost for the next year. Not a pretty sight, maybe, but it works to feed next year's plants. We plant close together in the spring (about April 15 here)and have a watering system on the. Banana trees and elephant ears demand high volumes of water to grow tall. They will do fine without that but never get very tall. The taller trees in that picture are 2 years old. Once they produce fruit, usually about year 3, they don't come back so we compost those and keep the pups.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Thanks give me a good idea to help w/my "thoughts" I'm trying to get together.
    I grow EE's now so will be moving those to the new location, as well as adding more.
    I'm so excited, I have always love this type of plant and the look of tropical so this is something that I really hope turns out well.
    Bonnie

• beerhog
    15 years ago

The banana with the red spots is Musa acuminata 'Zebrina'.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Thank you Beerhog! : ) I was hoping you'd see this and remember the name.
    If I ever get caught up with all my chores, I'd like to start an area with tropical plants. It would be nice to have a watering system with it. Kaye - I have noticed that also - at least with cannas and elephant ears, they don't seem demanding with water but they grow better if they get extra.

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kaye for answering my quesitons! Your pictures and little helper are awesome. Sorry to here about them getting damage, but at least you have some babies to grow taller next year. The banana plants I saw in town weren't as tall as yours, so after seeing how tall Musa Bajoo can get, I have decided to plant it in the ground. I am going change my front garden from a rose garden to a tropical garden. I plan to plant the roses in pots and the rest are annuals. The garden will have EE and Palms. I also liked the Zebrina, it would look good in the whiskey barrel on my patio. I read that a banana plant requires alot of fertilizer. How much fert. do you use? Last year I planted several EE and almost all of them died, because I did not know you had to dig them up for winter, so when I dig the EE up? How do I store them?
    Ann

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't dig my EE's. I wait unti the first really good frost not freeze. Then really mulch them heavy. I leave that until the first of spring or when the rain's start then pull start to pull back the mulch about 1/2 first day then the rest at end of week. If you leave it too long will git too much rain and rot under all that mulch. this way it is able to get air to the soil. I don't put mulch back around it until the spring rains let up and the soil has had a chance to warm up. Mine seem to come back bigger and seem fine. If I need to divide I do so before I put them to bed for the winter.
    I know a lot of people dig theirs each year.
    Are you as excited about this new "tropical" garden as I am? My mind just keeps running w/all the things or possibilities.
    Bonnie
    p.s. Also mine are in the ground not a container.

• kaye
    15 years ago

Beerhog proved to me that, even though most ee will winter over if protected..at least in an average winter here, the bulbs will get huge if dug and stored. They tend to grow new bulbs on top of old and eventually get too close to the top and will freeze. Mulching helps greatly but to get the maximum size they need to be dug and stored. Actually, we store our ee in the ground. We dig them up and bury them at least 2 feet below the frost line in a big container. It's easy enough to do that when we dig up the banana trees and have the large holes left. The banana trees can be stored dry anywhere they won't freeze.

As far as fertilizer, we started that bed with a great amount of compost and, like I said earler, we add all the leaves and such to the bed and let it compost over the winter. That is all turned back into the soil so we don't usually add any fertilizer beyond that. I have thrown a few handfuls of 13-13-13 in and a time release would be fine. I think water is actually more important than anything as these plants are both so full of water.

• bunny6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kaye thanks for the info.. I have plenty of compost. Thanks to all my trees. Maybe that is why my EE froze is because I didn't plant them deep enough nor put any mulch over them. I am going to take your advise and dig them up and plant them in a container deep in the ground, because I do not want to lose anymore.

Bonnie-I have always wanted a tropical garden. I don't know why it took so long for me plant one, but after I saw Kaye's, I knew I wanted to plant one in the spring. I am excited about the garden, so I spend alot of time searching about Tropical plants. I have decided on Musa Basjoo (sp?), as a banana tree, because I will not have to dig it up every year. I read that they also get wide, so I can only plant one, since my garden is small. I wanted two small palm plants, but I haven't been able to find one on line. All I have found is palm trees, so I have to look at nonpalms that look like a palm plant. Good luck on your internet searching!
    Ann

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Ann, you are right. I have always wanted to have this type of garden. But after seeing Kay's and Beerhogs photos, well I decided I have waisted enough time wanting. Time to do something about it.
    Did you ask on the palms or aroid forum? Someone there might have some suggestions too.
    Kaye, I have always left my EE's in the ground. But I have to tear down my old beds and move them any way so I think I will try you method this year and see what happens.
    I have a question though. when you say you dig them and put into a container what exactly do you mean? I don't want to do this wrong. Do you take all the soil off and put into (?) is there any thing they lay on? I there a lid on this container? or maybe a bucket type thing with the bulbs still planted in soil then the whole thing placed deep below the freeze line?
    Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I do this right. thanks for all your help.
    Bonnie

• shannonallison1036
    8 years ago

Shannon Zone 7

• shannonallison1036
    8 years ago

Mekong giant is rated to zone 6 they can reach 40 foot and can be left in the ground in the winter my ice cream or known as blue java I have gotten bananas here in north central

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    8 years ago

Seen them in springfield left in ground in winter, not sure what kind