Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Bees Swarming Feeders again

gldno1
12 years ago

They must be getting ready for winter. We will spray with Pam today and see if that will deter them. I have had only l or 2 hummers brave them. I don't mind feeding the bees but I think the hummers need it more. My neighbor keeps bees and I have seen lots more honey bees since he began the hives.

Comments (9)

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Wow Glenda! They owe you some honey. I see lots of bees in my yard but none on my hummingbird feeder. I have a different type. I wonder if that matters. I've never heard of spraying with Pam. Let us know if it works. If not, maybe you could lure them away with a pan of sugar water somewhere else. In my yard, the bees favorite thing right now is sedum. It's not unusual for me to stand in one spot and count a dozen or more. I don't think I have as many as you though. There are some people around the corner from us with hives about a half mile away.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We use Pam all the time to keep the wasps off and it sure works for them.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I think I would stay away. If you move the feeder at night would the bees find it again faster than the hummers?

• gldno1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the Pam didn't deter the bees! I am just as glad, our honeybees need all the help they can get. Someone suggested I put a saucer of nectar out for them and I did. It just took a few minutes before they found it. I was worried about refilling the dish, but did and they just swarmed up and around me but didn't light!

I put it on top of the large trash can in full sun. We have another HB feeder and so far, they haven't swarmed it.
    DH said I could take the trash out to the street; I suggested he do it before the sun got too high....the bees go home at night.

• helenh
    12 years ago

Be careful. One time I mowed yellow jackets and got 5 stings although many more landed on me. I called the emergency room and the kind person on the phone said if I was allergic, forget it. I wouldn't make it to the emergency room.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have made the executive decision that the neighbor can feed supplementary nectar to his bees. Yesterday afternoon we couldn't use the back door for swarming bees!

I have one feeder left for the hummers. It isn't their favorite feeder but it will have to do.

I used two or three cups of sugar over the last two days....too much! I need my sugar for jelly and jams. I just made a batch of apple jelly and apple butter yesterday and used almost 10 lb bag of sugar.

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

I love your photo Glenda...especially the ones coming in for a landing. Too bad they took over the hummers feeder tho.
    Wow, that must have been alot of jelly and apple butter, yummm :)
    I gave away 7+ dozen jars on freecycle this evening. The recipient was planning on making jams/jellies/butters.

Helen, I'm allergic also. I keep thinking I'll get one of those epi pens but never get around to it. Hope I dont regret it.

• teeandcee
    12 years ago

Wow, I was just getting online to post about my hummingbird feeders being swarmed. I read you can use a feeder with bee guards but haven't tried it.

• wwesternwilson
    9 years ago

I know this is an old thread...but came across it today! You can get hummingbird feeders that keep the nectar away from the feeding ports so that only hummingbirds can reach it...attaching nectar guards also helps with that.

Do not feed honeybees! They will make honey from the syrup you leave out and the syrup honey is not great...very pale and sugary tasting. And, as gldno1 noted, the bees will come in huge numbers if you feed them. Bees will also come from colonies up to two miles away, and can trade diseases at the communal feeder.

What you can do to help the bees, who are in big trouble, is plant lots of flowers that provide bloom from spring to fall. Good choices are:
    spring flowering heathers, letting your dandelions bloom, catmint, fennels and dills, Joe Pye Weed, mints, sunflowers, asters. If you have to choose one, plant a bed of catmint! Lovely hardy perennial, fragrant foliage, great mixer in the border, and the bees just love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan Bee