Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

What weeds are you fighting now?

christie_sw_mo
11 years ago

I'm so glad we've finally started getting some rain (we got 2.3 over the weekend) but oh how it makes the weeds grow. So I'm not having to spend my time dragging the hose around but all that time has been replaced with mowing and pulling weeds.

It's nice to have the soil moist enough that I can pull on poke weed and it actually comes out of the ground, root included, without breaking off. Ok - it doesn't happen every time but more than half came up without a shovel yesterday.

I think I'm seeing little henbit seedlings or something popping up all over the place. The seeds must float on the air because I try really hard to keep those pulled and yet I get so many babies.

I need to post a photo of a weed I don't know that spreads out into a very thin mat. It has tiny leaves and makes a circle at least a foot across but hugs the ground. It's fairly easy to pull. Sometimes I wonder if I should leave them for ground cover to keep the other weeds away.

Comments (10)

• helenh
    11 years ago

I have been trying to identify some of my weeds. I realized that I have no name for very common weeds in my yard. One has seeds that when mature are stickers in my dogs' hair. It is not Queen Anne's Lace I know that one for sure.

Christie the one you mentioned is a spurge. When you break the stem, a white liquid comes out. It has a relative in my yard that looks like a small green pointsetia.

Here is a link that might be useful: images

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's exactly it Helen! At least I feel like I've accomplished something when I pull a couple of those out since they cover a big area and there's nice bare soil underneath. But then I think - Now a few dozen henbit or lamium seedlings will come up in that space instead. I need to find some time to mulch.

• helenh
    11 years ago

{{gwi:335045}}My neighbor lets that prostrate spurge grow because she likes the look. It is not a bad weed.

What do you all call this very common weed? It is not perilla which is a mint and has a square stem, but it likes the same conditions as perilla.

• helenh
    11 years ago

{{gwi:335045}}My neighbor lets that prostrate spurge grow because she likes the look. It is not a bad weed.

What do you all call this very common weed? It is not perilla which is a mint and has a square stem, but it likes the same conditions as perilla.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks familiar but I don't know what it is. Maybe someone else will know. I'm sure I've seen it in my flower beds.

• helenh
    11 years ago

My mystery weed is Acalypha ostryaefolia. The Name That Plant forum nailed the genus and then I found the species in my big Flora of Missouri book. If you have any plants that you want indentified they are good as long as you have a clear picture of the important features. I found a little weed at Ozark nursery that I took home with the plants I bought. I think it is cute but I will try to identify it before I encourage it. Gail has her perennials 50% off so I bought some columbine. It is easily grown from seed and I used to have it volunteer but I don't see it anymore. I bought a Blue Star juniper to put in a pot with violas. I got some violas and a blue and yellow pansy. At Lowe's I got a couple violas which were cheaper but did not look as healthy. I love violas but the stores have mostly pansies.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad they were able to id it for you.
    Here's one I have quite a bit of this year. I don't know if the little roundish things are flower buds or seed pods. It's been pretty easy to pull up.

• helenh
    11 years ago

It looks like another spurge. I have the green wild pointsettia that looks like yours but mine is not reddish and the leaves are not as narrow. It is called toothed spurge.

Here is a link that might be useful: is this it?

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're good at this Helen. I think you're right.
    Have you figured out what's sticking in your dogs' fur? The link below has pictures of different burrs and stickers. Some of those look familiar. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultimate and Painful Hitchhikers

• helenh
    11 years ago

I bookmarked that, thanks. My weed above has seeds that look like stickers but I think I was mistaken about what it turns into. Honey was a free dog all weekend because something or someone got tangled in his fence wire that is supposed to shock him and broke it. I could analyze the stickers he collected. I haven't got around to removing all of them. The other boys went on a trip yesterday (Blackie is 14) and slept all day after they came home. They are also full of stickers. My dogs get foxtail, Queen Ann's Lace or carrot and those flat ones on the pea like plant. Sometimes they have small branches of blackberry or rose. I keep antibiotics on hand for Blackie because the foxtail awns cause infected places every year. The solution would be to shear him I guess.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions