Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blanket Flowers - hope these come back next year

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 9:16

I've been on a Blanket Flower kick this year. I winter sowed gaillardia pulchella and gaillardia grandiflora mix seeds and planted out about twenty altogether. Only about half have bloomed and I've lost track of which is which.
I'm sure these three are from the Grandiflora mix though:
from Gaillardia Grandiflora Mix seeds
Photobucket
Photobucket

This might be g. pulchella
Photobucket

I grew 'Arizona Apricot' from seed and only three germinated but all three are still alive and blooming a little.
Arizona Apricot:
Arizona Apricot gaillardia

I also bought two 'Mesa Yellow' on clearance at Lowe's and finally got those planted this week. The blooms are solid yellow - no picture because they've quit blooming.

Group shot with rudbeckia:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blanket Flowers - hope these come back next year

Those are beautiful. You winter sowed just last winter? Planting perennial seed is smarter than buying plants if you can think that far ahead and wait. I bought an oranges and lemons plant 2011 and liked it but it did not survive.

o

I winter sowed them sometime around late January this year. It's technically a perennial and will bloom the first year from seed but so many references say "short lived", I wonder if most will end up being annuals for me.

The one with tuberlar petals in the first photo was the earliest one to bloom. It started around late May and has been blooming off and on all summer. I have some that don't even have buds yet, but in all fairness, I think those are getting a little too much shade and root competition from my tulip tree.

I've seen a lot of good comments from people growing Arizona Apricot so I'm really hoping those come back next year. Mine are still small.

o

Those are gorgeous! My yellow ones never came back but I have some that look like your second picture and they have been coming back for several years now and have self-seeded a little bit.

I love the mix of them in that bottom picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here