Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Watermelons almost ripe

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I've picked my first watermelon a few days ago and have about ten more that are almost ready but now this cooler rainy weather has hit. I think they'll still ripen but hot dry weather would've made them taste better. Wish I had planted them a week or two earlier than I did.

I noticed wilted leaves on some of the vines back before it rained and went out to water them but the wilted leaves didn't perk up the next day so I decided to see which plants they were going to. I followed the vines and found the problem. They weren't attached to anything! Something chewed through them about halway between the end of the vine and the base. Two of the vines had watermelons on them and those will be wasted. There were three more wilted vines that didn't have any melons growing on them. I don't know what wouldn't done that. It doesn't look like anything has been chewing on the leaves.

I need another week or two of warm sunny weather and whatever chewed through my vines to go away and then I will have several watermelons to enjoy.

I planted Moon and Stars, and Sugar Baby from seed and the striped melons are a mystery. They were plants that I bought at Wal-Mart and supposed to be a yellow meated melon but they're pretty big (30+ pounds). I think they may have been mismarked.

Comments (3)