Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
skunk with white tail?

Posted by Christie_SW_MO Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 04 at 10:13

I saw a pretty (if skunks can be pretty) skunk that was unusual. It was at the side of the road and had been hit. It had a completely white bushy tail and was all white down its back. I thought it was albino at first because of the way it was positioned, I couldn't see any black at first. I held my breath and stopped to get a good look. It looked a lot like the pictures of the hooded or hog nose skunk in the link below but it also had a few small white spots down low on its sides. It didn't look anything like the pictures of spotted skunks I've seen. Can they cross? Does anyone know if we have hooded or hog nosed skunks in Missouri? Could a striped skunk have spots and a white tail?

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 types of skunks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: skunk with white tail?

Christie, We are supposed to just have two types in Missouri and the amount of white can vary. I am attaching the Mo. Dept of Cons. website about our native skunks if you are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mo. Skunks

o

I just saw that white tailed one like Christy saw. It was alive and on my back deck. From the pix, I think it was a Hooded Skunk, because it did have the white stripe down its nose. Armadillos didn't used to live here either, but they do now, so maybe this Hooded Skunk is migrating Northward also. I'm just relieved that the cats didn't pick a fight with it!

o

If it didn't smell so bad, I would've thought it was a released pet. lol Maybe you're right about them migrating northward. I didn't look for a stripe on its nose so I don't know if it had one. I remember seeing another earlier in the summer (roadkill) that I thought had more white than usual but I didn't get a good look at it.

o

I have one of these that comes to my birdfeeders in the morning. I have been searching to find out what it is since I have never seen one like it before. It has a large fluffy white tail and is actually more white than black. It is a long-haired skunk. Yes they do exist in SWMO.

o

Susan - If you can get a photo of it, I'd like to see it. They're pretty when they have a lot of white. Almost would make a good pet.
My mother was seeing one at her house (also in southwest Missouri) this spring but couldn't get a picture of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here