Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Devastating Bees losses this year, you could be a factor

Posted by joeinmo 6b-7a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 10:41

Did you buy garden plants from Lowes or Home Depot, they use an insecticide on garden plants and trees that has been linked to huge bee decline nationwide.

Bees are essential for one out of three bites of food we eat, and this year beekeepers reported losses of between 40-90 percent of their hives.  A growing body of scientific evidence is pointing to the most widely-used pesticide on the planet, neonicotinoids (neonics) as the key factor in this crisis.

You can find bottles of these toxic pesticides on the shelves of your local garden stores and more shockingly, many of the plants and seeds we buy from nurseries for our bee-friendly gardens have been pre-treated with neonics, at  doses up to 220 times higher than are used on farms. So, instead of helping bees in our gardens, we may be unknowingly poisoning them.

Fortunately, the European Union banned this toxic pesticide, and major home and garden retailers in the UK have pledged to stop selling neonics. Now we need your help to demand that Home Depot, Lowe’s do the same in the U.S.

Please tell them to stop using these pesticides and sign the petition

Here is a link that might be useful: Save the Bees petition to Home Depot and Lowes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Devastating Bees losses this year, you could be a factor

Thank you, Joe, for bringing this to our attention. I'll do what I can.
Sunny

o
RE: Devastating Bees losses this year, you could be a factor

Now I read that fungicides are also responsible for killing honeybees. We also need bumble bees as honeybees are not native and do not know how to pollinate certain flowers and veggies, and bumblebees do.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here