Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Little Surprise This Morning

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 16, 09 at 10:53

When I was doing my morning walk about of things, I was surprised by this aster in among the Becky daisies.

It is about 20 or so feet north of the original planting that I got two years ago at the Master Gardeners' Sale, I didn't know they would spread that way.

Seedling Native Aster among the Becky daisies

I think I will leave it there. At least the ugly legs are hidden. I do love the color of this aster.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Little Surprise This Morning

I've never known them to spread, is it a possibility that there was some root stock included in the daisy pot when you planted?

o

Violet, this bed has been planted for several years. The only new addition was the native aster planted a couple of years ago. I have taken lots of pictures of this bed and the aster was never there before. I have had lots of strange things in my gardening year.

For instance, I planted my usual white-seeded pole bean Kwintus this year on the hoop house frame. When I did my first picking I saw lots of long, slender, 'round' podded beans along with the flat Roma-like Kwintus. I am letting seeds mature now and the new round one is a light brown color........I had only planted Kwintus last year and besides this was new seed this year. I am assuming Park's source had a cross last season.

o

Interesting, interesting!

o

Well. I found another seedling; this time growing out of a 3x6 inch crack in a concrete ledge in the middle of this bed where gas tank stands used to rest. So it is definitely spreading by seeds.

o

Surprises are nice. Do you have baby columbines?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here