Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Eureka Springs Ark.- best route for flatlanders?

helenh
13 years ago

My cousins from Kansas will be visiting in October. I will be riding with them to Eureka Springs. What route is least scary. This is a gardening question because I will be looking for yard ornaments like suns to hang on my barn. I also enjoy the town because of the cottage gardens. There used to be a good garden there but now it is an Indian Heritage Trail of Tears attraction. I would be interested in knowing about other gardens in the area.

Comments (12)

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Be sure to stop at Perennials, Etc. at Garfield, Ark on your way to Eureka springs. Great selections of unusual plants and water garden supplies, plants and fish, plus they have a really great selection of yard ornaments. We always go from Joplin south on 71 thru Bella Vista, take 62 east to Eureka Springs. Look out for the garden center on the north side of the road. It's a nice scenic ride also!

• ladycraft
    13 years ago

Helen, Have you been to Eureka Springs before?

I went to see the Thorncrown Chapel one time. It is all glass. Beautiful place. Not alot of flowers but the trees,peace and quiet is wonderful.

The next time I go I plan on going to Quigley's Castle. Check it out their website. Oct may be a tad bit late for some of the flowers but you may still want to check out the house and surroundings.
    Kathy

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Helen, be sure to check out the colored and clear slag glass chunks (all sizes) outside of ES on 62. Mine stay out all year and are beautiful around the beds.

I'm glad to know about the perinneal place, mosswitch.
    Sunny

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I have been there before but my cousins haven't. Where they live there are no hills. We are going to Branson first and then Eureka. I am worried about those roads. I tried to make it a gardening question and I will be looking for that glass and the place in Garfield, but it is the roads I am worried about. Where ever I go it is a gardening trip because I am always looking at other people's yards. Thanks for the ideas I will look up Quigley's Castle.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Here's the shortest routes and all bypass Garfield. 65S then 62W would be the best roads IMO. That would be the 2nd shortest route and the 2nd suggested route.

Here is a link that might be useful: google map

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• ladycraft
    13 years ago

Most of all have lots of FUN! And a report of Quigley's Castle if you stop in there.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What did you like most about Quigley's Castle? I saw the pictures of bottle trees. Also I once made a rock wall with field rocks and masonry cement at another house where I lived. So I would like it I think. Probably I will drag my friend there on another outing. I think my cousin has already lined up a bunch of shows for us for this trip. I just hate the roads down there but I don't think there is an easy way to get there.

• ladycraft
    13 years ago

I haven't been to Quigley's Castle. I need to find someone to drag along. Hubby will go but he will sit in the car. But I will probably go and LET him do that. His loss.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Get him a little nintendo game and let him sit in the car or find a nice bench for him. I drag my friend to botanical gardens where ever we go. He drags me to football games and I look at the cheerleaders and people in the stands. I don't understand the game at all. My cousins are taking me so I will go along with whatever they want to do, but you know I will be looking a yard ornaments in the shops.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

South on 65 from Branson to 62 then west to Eureka Springs was what we took. It looked much longer on the map but the roads were good and not curvy or steep. Once you get to Eureka you can ride the green trollies for $5 a day until 6pm. We had fun; I bought more wind chimes. My cousin is a good calm driver and had no trouble whatsoever. We did several u turns in Branson when nobody was looking; you can't do that in Eureka Springs. Glenda I saw old fashioned petunias in some of the yards.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Helen, I will show that route to DH.....I might risk it again, maybe.

I am glad you posted; I have been worried you all might have dropped off one of those mountain roads!

Glad you had a good time.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?