Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

watermelons - photo

christie_sw_mo
18 years ago

This is my big mulch pile where I planted two watermelon vines on the south side of the pile. The plants were at the bottom but the vines grew mostly UP the pile where they're getting lots of sun and they HUGE. I bought the watermelon plants at a nursery on clearance and they weren't labeled. She said they were either something or something and I don't remember what the names were but I thought they both sounded familiar at the time so probably a common variety. Anybody want to take a guess? They're dark like Sugarbaby but I brought in the first one a few days ago and it weighed 17 pounds. Is that too big for a Sugarbaby? There were two vines planted in the same hole and I've got TWELVE melons that look like they will finish except for one that got disconnected somehow in the storm Tuesday night. I've never had so many watermelons per vine before so I'm thrilled. I didn't fertilize them at all and watered very little, so it must just be the full sun and mulch that have made them so happy.

I am ready to dot my hayfield with mulch piles next summer and plant watermelons. Ok maybe not. : )

Comments (10)

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Great patch Christie! They like it hot so they should have been happy this summer. The melons look good enough to eat. ;-)

Nancy

• numama
    18 years ago

Christie,
    Great photo, MMMMM almost good enough to eat!
    Nancy U.

• gldno1
    18 years ago

You must be doing something right! They really look happy on that mulch pile.....and you yard looks so green in the background. gld

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Over to the right in the background is our hayfield which is needing to be cut. So is our lawn now, since we've gotten this rain. I've got a trade going for some 'Moon and Stars' watermelon seeds to try. I had some this year but they didn't germinate so I'm going to try again. Has anyone tried that one here in the Ozarks? I've seen it recommended several times in other forums.

• pamcrews
    18 years ago

Hi Christie. So glad to see everything is sooooo green....Looking forward to seeing those fall colors. Can't wait. Pam

p.s. Would of posted earlier but those darn commercials this web site they are "sticking" every place they can before you can read or post on a thread are a real pain in the you know what! TERRIBLE!

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I brought another watermelon in today and it weighed around 16 pounds. I know I'm getting too old to be amazed that something so wonderful can come from a tiny seed but I still marvel that it does. : )
    Pam - I've been using Mozilla Firefox for my browser the last month or so because I can't even get posts to open when I use Internet Explorer most of the time now. Gardenweb is the only place I have trouble and I'm sure it's the ads because that's where it hangs up. The ad comes up and then it stops and I get some "operation aborted" message. I have the most trouble on posts that are long or have photos. I don't mind the ads at all - income is an important part of doing business. : ) But I don't like the ads if I can't even read the posts because of them. I'm sure they will get the bugs out soon though. Keep trying.

• redhotflowermama
    18 years ago

I have been using google tool bar and it has popup blocker. Also have the norton antispam and all that stuff. When I renewed my norton's antivirus it was option to add so decided to pay the price. Havent be dissapointed yet. Judy

• Macmex
    18 years ago

Could they be Black Diamond? That's a fairly well known name in watermelons, and they are dark green, usually more round than oblong.

My family and I have been around:
    1981-1982 Siloam Springs, AR
    1982-1986 - Winnona Lake, IN
    1986-1987 - Edinburg, TX
    1988-1993 - Tlatlauqui, Puebla, Mexico
    1993-2001 - Ixmiquilpan, Hidalgo, Mexico
    2001-2005 - Jackson, NJ
    August this year - Tahlequah, OK

The only watermelon I've kept going all that time is the white seeded Moon and Stars, and it will be time to grow it out again in 2006. I'll be interested in its flavor, when grown in Tahlequah's nice hot climate. Most of the times I've grown it, I got it in late, or we were in a cooler climate, and I wasn't too impressed with it.

George

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well maybe they are small Black Diamonds instead of big Sugar Babies. They start out striped and get darker as they mature and are almost perfectly round - all between 15 and 17 pounds so far.
    White seeded Moon and Stars? That must be different than the seeds I got. I do think there are some different Moon and Stars varieties out there.
    I need another week or two of hot weather for my melons. There are several left that aren't quite ripe enough and it's supposed to cool off with highs in the 70's this week. I found one today hiding under the leaves that I didn't see before that's about the size of a cantaloupe. I'm wondering if I should remove a couple smaller ones that set on late so the other ones will do better.

• shot
    16 years ago

Just ran across this post and my guess is Black Diamond also. Here is a picture of mine from a couple of years ago.
    Shot

{{gwi:34369}}

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville