Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

September berries and flowers

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

Gray Dogwood

Aronia - seedling from 'Brilliant'

Viburnum prunifolium (Blackhaw viburnum) These are supposed to be edible but there's very little pulp. I think it would take a billion of them to make a jar of jelly.

Callicarpa 'Profusion'

Eupatorium - seedling from 'Chocolate' I didn't get around to deadheading this last fall and regretting it very much. It reseeds heavily.

Comments (14)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Those kind of plants are sadly lacking in my gardens. I do love them. I saw several orange colored berried on vines in the fence rows yesterday. I am guessing it was bittersweet. Do you have those too?

Those little butterflies sure do like the eupatorium. I have lots of the native white eupatorium more places that I would like. It spreads like crazy or seeds get dropped or blown. It is in all the ditches now.

Do the birds eat all the smaller berries?

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw some orange berries this week along a ditch too and was wondering what they were. I don't have bittersweet. I remember my mother collecting that for bouquets when we were kids.

I'm pretty sure the birds eat the gray dogwood berries. Most of those are already gone.

I've read that they don't like this type of aronia berries very well but will eat them if they're hungry.
    I'm pretty sure they'll eat the blackhaw berries. This is the first year mine has gotten a good stand of fruit.
    The callicarpa (beauty bush) that I have is non-native. I've been getting too many seedlings from that one. They were all within a couple feet of the shrub so I don't think they're being spread by birds. The berries stay on there a long time. That might be one that the birds eat only if they're really hungry too.

I took these pics at the same time but hadn't put them on Photobucket yet:

'Beth'

variegated liriope - first time it has bloomed for me

close-up of v. Chicago Luster berries

flowering dogwood - has berries and also buds for next year's flowers. The berries won't last long. Bluebirds love them.

Nandina - A few of the leaves are starting to color up but they're mostly still green. Birds don't eat these I think.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Very nice sampling of berried shrubs, Christie. Would you plant joe pye weed again if you had it to do over?

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Your flowers are lovely, here is some Asters I planted
    about 3 years ago, prob need to divide.

From Gardener

I planted the zinnias late this summer. Happy gardening
    caroline

From Gardener

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

I really like the dwarf marigolds and large blooms,
    but can not find the seeds, I will be getting new seed
    catalogs soon, so hope I can find them . Happy gardening
    caroline
    {{gwi:22692}}From Marigolds

• helenh
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pretty photos. I also planted some zinnias late; mine are just getting buds. I think marigolds make a great fall flower. I have some yellow ones that still look good that have been going strong since June. The bold oranges are fall colors.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

caroline, those are very pretty. I love the color of the marigolds. Park Seed Co. carries a large variety of marigold seeds. You might want to check them out.

My asters are very slow to come into bloom. I have a large pale blue one in the garden that I haven't checked recently. I need to give it a look.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen - You asked if I would plant it again - Probably but I wouldn't want a whole bunch of them because it's somewhat difficult to keep it deadheaded. I don't think it's a native Joe Pye Weed and the flowers are more scattered around instead of all being on one stem so it takes awhile to snip them all off. I keep two plants but last year after our kitchen fire, I didn't keep up with yard work and let several things go to seed that I don't normally. I think I'm going to try cutting it back almost to the ground instead of snipping stems which takes too long.

Caroline - Your zinnias look so fresh and pretty. Mine have been looking ratty since the heavy rain we got from Ike. Some of them have fallen over and they're mildewed You've convinced me to plant some late zinnias next year. Your aster sure has a lot of flowers on it. Very pretty.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Christie and Caroline your pictures are great! I had no idea that a dogwood had berries. I learn alot about plants in nature from this forum. I also like the zinnias that are short. The tall ones always fall over on me. I found a wonderful wildflower book at a wildlife center outside of Ft. Smith. I plan to get it next time I am there, so I can go into the woods and learn the name of wild flowers. If anyone has a good book with colored pictures, let me know.
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

Check with your state conservation dept. and see if they publish a wildflower book. MO has one you can order on-line I think it may be $14. It has flowers organized by color. It is not for serious taxonomists, but good for most purposes.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks ladies for your comments. My tall zinnias always
    fall over too, if they are not close to other flowers
    that help hold them up. I ordered a Parks catalog .
    Bunny, have you checked the libarary for a native book?

I planted a dogwood tree, it gets too much hot sun and I
    don't think it is going to make it. This is the second yr.
    for it. Never grew much. I too had lots of rain in two
    days, thanks to Ike, 12 1/2 inches,100+ homes here in
    town flooded, not mine. Happy gardening, caroline

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Thanks Helen and Caroline. I will check the Ark. state conservation dept.. I forgot about the library.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Caroline, I was going to order seeds from Parks on-line. The minimum shipping was going to be six something. I complained. They said to call my order in because fall shipments on-line are set up for plants.

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks Helen for the info. I know shipping is out of
    reason on some things. Good that you complained ;)
    I will order from a catalog. I have never ordered on line.
    Happy gardening, caroline