Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
monarch migration?

Posted by sweetwm007 yellville, ar (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 30, 06 at 12:48

looked up this morning while working in the yard and noticed 100's of butterflies. this is the first time i have ever seen this! is this the start of their migration to the south?

william

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: monarch migration?

Not the start as we began to see a few fluttering over two or three weeks ago, but definitely the migration. Lucky you to see so many at once. We count ourselves lucky to see a couple dozen in a day outdoors. We are in Oklahoma--Adair co.

o

I have been seeing them in greater numbers the last week or so but never as many as that. You're so lucky! The most I've seen in my yard at one time is seven and I only saw one today so maybe they're starting to dwindle here already. Here's a pretty good link on the southward migration.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Monarch Migration

o

thanks for the replies.

there were a lot more today. they start early and really slow down about noon. they appear to be heading southwest.
had to be 1,000 today. some lite and rest and others are at many different altitudes. there are other butterflies with them but i don't know anything about butterflies. this has been interesting.

will check again tomorrow.

thanks for the link.

william

o

looks like it is over. saw a couple stragglers the last 2 days.

it is amazing that the birds were not picking these off.

william

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here