Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this poison Ivy or something else?????

Posted by beth_b_kodiak zone 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 13:30

It sure looks like PI but it does not grow like any Poison Ivy I have ever seen. Nothing viney about it. Much more like a shrub

All leaves in clusters of three but not real shiny or waxy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this poison Ivy or something else?????

It's hard for me to tell from the photo. Maybe when it blooms you'll be able to tell for sure.
I came across this link when I looked for poison ivy look alikes on Google. What about the photo near the bottom of fragrant sumac? Could that be it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Ivy and Look alike plants

o
another look alike

Almost forgot - I grew wafer ash from seed last year (ptelea trifoliata) for swallowtail butterflies and that one looks very much like poison ivy also. I think I would've sprayed it with Round-up by mistake if I found it coming up in a flower bed.

o

It doesn't look like Poison Ivy to me. I was also thinking fragrant sumac.

o

PI is a vine, and has shiny leaves. It just LOOKS Evil, to me. I don't think this is it, Beth.
Sunny

o

First time I noticed it there was dew on the leaves and it looked shiny. When I went to clear it out is was dry and less suspicious looking. The stems did not look right either for PI..
I'm still not positive but I appreciate the info you all have provided.
Thanks
bethb

o

Be careful though until you figure it out for sure.

o

That isn't poison ivy, it looks to me like low-gro or aromatic sumac. If it is just a couple feet tall, and kind of spreading, that's what it is. The foliage is really aromatic.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: aromatic sumac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here