Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The rain brought toadstools

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 13:39

Is anyone else's yard breaking out in toadstools? I don't think I've ever had so many.
I don't have any perfect circles like some fairy rings that I've seen but it sort of looks like that. The underside (the gills) are pink on the ones I've looked at and I think they might be edible but I'm too chicken to give them a try. I may have to buy some mushrooms at the grocery store now because it's got me thinking about it and I'm craving them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The rain brought toadstools

I don't have any but I saw some in Joplin. I think they are pretty. Did anyone else think it was steamy today. I thought I was being a wimp until I saw the weather. It really was hot. Please buy the mushrooms in the store; we need you to survive.

o

I have seen a couple of small ones when I mowed recently. I finally had to mow the entire yard; the first time in a very long time. An extension person told me once they are a sign of a fertile, high quality soil.

I need to do some trimming but think I will wait until this cold front arrives.

I sure hope it brings all of us more rain.

o

Glad to hear mushrooms are a sign of fertility. I have them occasionally and always wondered if I should just toss them in the compost bin.

What do you all think?
Sunny

o

I think they are growing on rotten wood or organic matter underground. Sunny I don't see why you couldn't put them in the compost. I think they are beautiful but I guess as they mature they may get ugly. I think it is amazing how fast they can spring up. Don't listen to me about eating them. I won't even eat the morels unless someone else picks them. If you read what the poisonous ones can do, it doesn't seem to be worth the chance.

o

Don't ever,ever eat anything you aren't l00% sure what it is!
Some can kill you very quickly. Helen, you are wise. I just got confident about morels a few years ago and I had a neighbor come check them first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here