Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An annual that came through the drought well

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 14:44

I winter sowed celosia seeds this spring and they sailed through the drought better than most things. I did keep them watered, but since some plants suffered or died even with water, it impressed me.

There are zinnias behind it.
celosia August 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An annual that came through the drought well

Those are very pretty and a nice bright color.

I have a gold celosia that I had a million of because I just dumped the seeds in a pot and every one grew. Most didn't do well because they want sun even when it is 100 degrees and mine were in part shade. The extra ones that I put in my vegetable garden looked good and attracted all sorts of little nectar gathering wasps and bees which I assumed are what they call beneficial insects. I am going to plant them in the vegetable garden again. Mine were pretty and the healthiest thing out there until striped blister beetles ate the leaves off. They recovered and are doing OK again.

o
RE: An annual that came through the drought well

Mine were attracting a lot of wasps too. I was afraid to mow near them. I don't know why but lately I've been seeing very few wasps but lots of butterflies (mostly Buckeyes) on them. I've had a LOT of Buckeyes for the last couple weeks, maybe close to a hundred in my yard at one time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here