Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

Pics from Missouri Botanical Garden

proudgm_03
15 years ago

My daughter and I went Saturday. Not the best time of year to see lots of flowers but they were having a Japanese festival. I hadn't been in years so I thought I would go. Here it is if you're interested.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z319/proudgm_03/missouribotanicalgarden/

Comments (12)

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Hey - Those sculptures look familiar. They had the same art on display when we went to the botanical gardens in Atlanta a couple years ago. I think it was called Nikki in the Garden. My kids don't get as excited as I do about looking at the plants so it was nice for them to have something else to look at while we were there.
    We haven't been to Missouri Botanical Gardens for about six or seven years. My twins were young the last time we went and they had a blast going through the hedge maze. I'm sure if I got to look at any plants, it was while I was running to catch up with one of my kids. lol We need to go back again now that they move a little slower.
    Thanks for sharing your photos. The ones of the bridge are beautiful!

• helenh
    15 years ago

I could look at garden pictures all day. I especially liked the colored glass things in the water and the blue trailing torenia. I have been picking up more "garden art" - mine is inexpensive - since our two years of drought. Sometimes the plants don't grow, so you have to plant something else.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Sounds like you had a nice day.
    Your picture are wonderful.
    I was just looking at their web page last night.
    Bonnie

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Christi it is Nikki in the garden. All mosaic. My daughter and I were laughing at the naked ladies. All of them had two different colored and two different sized boobs! I was trying to figure out what the point of that was! I told my daughter we would have to go back at different times to see different things blooming. We didn't watch any of the Japanese "shows". But we were highly entertained by all the regular people who came dressed up in Japanese attire or like Pokeman characters. And man, there were some characters!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Enjoyed the garden tour. I have never been and should; our son lives in the area.

I noticed the "interesting" sculptures too. Love the mosaic decoration on each boob! I was rather surprised they would have that kind of thing in a public garden! I guess Missouri has moved right along with the rest of the world.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

My kids got a few giggles out of it as well but you can't help but marvel at the amount of time it must've taken to place the pieces of glass and stone used to make those huge things (the statues lol) and they're quite sound. Kids are allowed to climb in and on some of them and they're tough enough to be moved around the country (world?) to be on display in different places.

I spelled it wrong I think - it should be with one K.
    Here's some more images at Flickr.com My kids loved the big skull because they could go inside it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Niki in the Garden - Flickr

• razorback33
    15 years ago

proudgm...
    Do you know the name of this plant that's in the water garden?

I was there in June, but I don't remember seeing them. May not have been up then. I did a search of their "what's in bloom" website, but there was no photo of it.
    Thamks for sharing the photos! MOBOT is one of my favorite BG's and I go there every chance I get.
    Sorry about hijacking one of your photos, but I don't have one of this plant and I'm interested in trying one in my watergarden.
    Rb

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have no idea what the plant is. Unfortunately I didn't write any of the names down.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I thought they were glass sculptures.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

I enjoyed the picture tour! I have never been to a Botanical Garden.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

helenh....
    I'm sure you are correct! I magnified the photo in my ArcSoft Photo editor and the "flowers" and stems are translucent! Not something you would find in nature, I'm sure.
    I assumed that it was a plant, since the Niki sculptures are mosiac pop art and this doesn't fit that motif.
    Maybe it's something added by the garden and not associated with the Niki in the Garden display.
    Oh well, live and learn!
    Rb

• helenh
    15 years ago

I hit every botanical garden I can when I go on vacation. MO has a good one and Powell Garden near KC is also a very nice garden.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists