Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highprairiehippy_gw

Ozarks/sq/ft raised bed vegetable gardening questions

highprairiehippy
12 years ago

Good after noon to all:Hope I'm in the right forum.GLAD We're getting some much needed rain here in the ozarks.I'm new to the ozarks,square foot raised bed gardening and have some general questions: 1. Ive an abundance of standing oaktrees that need to be thined.I'd like to use them for my bedwalls. Any pest/fungal problems that would make this unadvisable? 2. where can I find a root depth requirement (so I know how tall to build my beds) per vegetable plant species.Where do I find what seed varieties work best in my area.I've gardened for years and my choice of seed is usually determined by how good the seed company's ad is.....Not all ways a good choice. Everyone around here has their own opinions, and everyone row grows...I'll be the first around here to try sq/ft container growing. 3. Does anyone know how deep a bed has to be to keep earthworms alive and happy?I heard about some folks that offer weekend gardening classes.any and all advice is appreciated... Thanks.

Comments (4)

• peaceofmind
    12 years ago

Are you familiar with Len Pence? He gives classes in Strafford Mo. and could answer a lot of your questions.

Welcome to our forum. You are in the right place.

Here is a link that might be useful: About raised bed gardening

• helenh
    12 years ago

I enjoy the demonstration gardens at Nathanael Greene Park. They also have a botanical center. If you go don't miss the rest of the park. Close Park and the Japanese Garden are nice. You may find volunteers there who will be happy to answer questions. This has been a terrible gardening year and I haven't been lately. Maybe someone else can report on whether this fall will be a good time to go or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nathanael Greene Park making the square foot garden

• gldno1
    12 years ago

First, welcome to Ozarks Gardening Forum. Glad to see you here.

I don't do this type of gardening so I can't really answer questions but most vegetables need a root zone of at least 6 inches depth.

As to what seeds do well here, if we have a decent growing year (and this year we did not!) any normal seed that is for our zone would work. Some people swear by certain varieties of tomatoes or green beans but just look for anything that is tolerant of our heat and humidity.

Check out MU Extension sites for good advice. They are usually out of date and don't have the very latest but are always sound on the basics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn and Garden

• Violet_Z6
    12 years ago

1. I've an abundance of standing oaktrees that need to be thined.I'd like to use them for my bedwalls. Any pest/fungal problems that would make this unadvisable?

So long as there are not pre-existing issues, oak is a great choice.

2. where can I find a root depth requirement (so I know how tall to build my beds) per vegetable plant species. Where do I find what seed varieties work best in my area.I've gardened for years and my choice of seed is usually determined by how good the seed company's ad is.....Not all ways a good choice. Everyone around here has their own opinions, and everyone row grows...I'll be the first around here to try sq/ft container growing.

Root Depth: Minimum 6 inches of soil is required. A foot would be better. And you can go higher from there to waist high - but your cost goes up in materials and growing medium.

The best resource you can get for square foot gardening is the book called Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew, it's less than $20 (maybe even less than $15) and jam packed with everything you need to know and photos.

Varieties of vegetables? What vegetables specifically are you wanting t grow?

3. Does anyone know how deep a bed has to be to keep earthworms alive and happy?I heard about some folks that offer weekend gardening classes.any and all advice is appreciated... Thanks.

Since worms are mobile, they're going to look for food more than anything else. They'll tunnel down if they need warmth.

Master Gardeners of Greene County Hotline: 417-881-8909
    Or visit them inside the Botanical Center at 2400 S Scenic Ave, Springfield, MO

Here is a link that might be useful: Map of the Gardens

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting