o
pictures from my yard

Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 24, 09 at 16:07

yvonne's salviaPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pictures from my yard

I love those salvia plants. I've been wanting some seeds for them. Are you saving any? I have:
6 Red Stripe Canna seeds
watermelon unknown but sweet
Jackmanii Clematis
Red Hot Poker
Eastern Redbud
dianthus 'Siberian blues'
later I'll have pyracantha and beauty berry and lavender crepe myrtle

I don't save a lot of seeds so I could also send you some cuttings of something I have, if you'd rather have them I can send you a list.

Nancy

o

Your salvia is beautiful! How tall did it get?

o

helen, is that Yvonne's salvia? I need to measure mine; it now is lots taller than the propane tank. I also have a mid-height one.

Don't you think the flower colors get more intense with the cooler weather? It is my favorite time of year.

I will be glad to share seeds too.

Just e-mail me.

glenda

o

Wow I can't believe how big your salvia is.
I can only dream. Mine are no way that big. I wonder if mine get too much sun?
I just love those pics.
Bonnie

o

The salvia is not as tall as Glenda's. I have looked for the seed; there seems to be one seed per little tubular flower. They are light colored and then turn dark. The ones at the bottom ripen first. Glenda how do you harvest your seed? I guess you would strip off the bottom flowers or wait until the whole flower stalk turns brown. I have been cutting off the old flowers but I will save some seed if I can.

o

Helen,it is tricky to try to get the seeds. I am afraid by the time I let them turn black, they will have dropped on the ground. It will be interesting to see if they will self seed for next year. Most of my other salvias do.

Bonnie, I don't think salvias can have too much sun. I do think they like plenty of moisture though. I haven't done much extra watering this year since we had pretty good rains. But the plants back by the calf pen, get watered because I let the hose lay there while I go back to turn on the hydrant to water the calves.

I will measure my Yvonne's today just out of curiosity.

o

Nancy send me an e-mail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here