Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Let's see your salvia pictures

helenh
11 years ago

Comments (5)

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Pretty Helen! What is the one on the bottom left?

This summer, even my salvias were wilting in the heat and had very few flowers but they're recovering now and blooming better than they were.

This is 'Black and Blue' - not many flowers

This is the species salvia guaranitica which is blooming better than Black and Blue. I thought I was going to get a hummingbird in this photo but it flew off too fast.

Salcia darcyi - looking better than it has all summer

I think this one is s. greggi 'Cherry Queen'. I hadn't noticed how well it was blooming again until I went out to take a picture this morning.

This is s. coccinea. I think there's actually two in this photo that came up close together. They volunteer.

I have at least two hummingbirds hanging around and visiting them. I haven't been putting a feeder up.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have hummingbirds zipping around too with no feeders up. I don't know the name of that salvia. I don't even remember where I got it. It might have been from the Master Gardener's sale spring 2011. The plant has always looked neat and although it has just a few flowers, they are very bright. I have another small pink one like that in a pot. I need to get that one in the ground soon. I still have several plants in pots because it never was safe to put them in the ground. I assumed my blue salvia was Black and Blue because it is black and blue in color. It is a box store plant that was not labeled. Now that you show me another I don't know what I have.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

It sounds like Black and Blue. I've never seen the plain species guaranitica for sale anywhere. I got mine in a plant trade. Lowe's has had Black and Blue though and I've seen it at a couple other places. The calyxes(?) on the species guaranitica are green instead of blackish.
    I got a volunteer seedling this year from my Black and Blue. It just started blooming this week and the calyxes are dark like the parent plant. I kind of expected them to be green. I hope I'm calling it the right thing. By calyx, I mean the cupped part at the base of the flower.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

annual salvia

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I don't think I've ever tried growing annual salvia in a container. Yours looks pretty happy.

Here's a closer-up of the species guaranitica that shows the green calyxes.