Let's see your salvia pictures

Posted by helenh z6 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 17:05

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's see your salvia pictures

Pretty Helen! What is the one on the bottom left?

This summer, even my salvias were wilting in the heat and had very few flowers but they're recovering now and blooming better than they were.

This is 'Black and Blue' - not many flowers
salvia 'Black and Blue'

This is the species salvia guaranitica which is blooming better than Black and Blue. I thought I was going to get a hummingbird in this photo but it flew off too fast.
salvia guaranitica

Salcia darcyi - looking better than it has all summer
salvia darcyi

I think this one is s. greggi 'Cherry Queen'. I hadn't noticed how well it was blooming again until I went out to take a picture this morning.
salvia greggii 'Cherry Queen' ?

This is s. coccinea. I think there's actually two in this photo that came up close together. They volunteer.
salvia coccinea

I have at least two hummingbirds hanging around and visiting them. I haven't been putting a feeder up.

o

I have hummingbirds zipping around too with no feeders up. I don't know the name of that salvia. I don't even remember where I got it. It might have been from the Master Gardener's sale spring 2011. The plant has always looked neat and although it has just a few flowers, they are very bright. I have another small pink one like that in a pot. I need to get that one in the ground soon. I still have several plants in pots because it never was safe to put them in the ground. I assumed my blue salvia was Black and Blue because it is black and blue in color. It is a box store plant that was not labeled. Now that you show me another I don't know what I have.

o

It sounds like Black and Blue. I've never seen the plain species guaranitica for sale anywhere. I got mine in a plant trade. Lowe's has had Black and Blue though and I've seen it at a couple other places. The calyxes(?) on the species guaranitica are green instead of blackish.
I got a volunteer seedling this year from my Black and Blue. It just started blooming this week and the calyxes are dark like the parent plant. I kind of expected them to be green. I hope I'm calling it the right thing. By calyx, I mean the cupped part at the base of the flower.

o

annual salvia annual salvia

o

I don't think I've ever tried growing annual salvia in a container. Yours looks pretty happy.

Here's a closer-up of the species guaranitica that shows the green calyxes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here