Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

four o clocks

helenh
11 years ago

The light pink is pretty now, but the fuchia is big and tough. I have the fuchia four o clocks in the weeds. They and crepe myrtle can survive in the weather we have had lately.

Comments (14)

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Helen. Did you grow them from seed? How long does it take to get them that big? I'd like to have a couple next season.
    Sunny

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You have to be careful where you plant them because they reseed. The fuchia ones were from the garden web. The man said he had them on the side of a shed and that they were fragrant. Those get shoulder high and are growing outside my fence with no water. Some got in my yard or I may have planted them there. They took over where there were some day lilies and I had to dig the day lilies and put them somewhere else. That was OK because it is on a hill and you can't siphon up. Four oclocks look better watered but they don't die with no watering even the last two years. The Sunset ones were purchased seeds and the pink ones were seed exchange. I haven't had those long. I also have white. The toughest are the fuchia; they are almost like a shrub. They have big roots that have been living through the winter. White shows up at night and fuchia shows up. The Sunset and light pink are not big plants but those colors don't seem to show up from a distance. Sometimes in humid weather on warm nights the fragrance is strong. I like them very much but you have to be careful where you put them. I have tried the broken colors and the light yellow green leaf ones. Those did not keep coming back. I would like to have the broken colors ones again. I can save you seeds if you will promise not to be mad if they take over your salvia.

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

I promise. Thank you!
    Sunny

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It will take me a while to get the light pink as those seeds are not mature. I will save you some. I am not sure that seeds from a certain color come true. I remember from biology class that they blend colors.

• gldno1
    11 years ago

Helen,I think I have some broken colors. Let me wait until the sun hits them this morning and I will take pics. I can save seeds if I get out there before they eject.

Didn't you give me these seeds? I do have a nice area of them now and they come up out in the grass where I mow. I love them because they are so carefree.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I may have sent broken colors because I used to have them. How tall do they get for you? I think the fuchia ones may crowd out the others. Save me some seeds if you can. If our weather stays like this, four o clocks will be appreciated. I remember as a kid in San Diego (where it never rains)four o clocks and geraniums would grow on the side of the road with no care.

• laVerneMaynard7
    11 years ago

I have fuchsia 4 o'clocks if anyone wants seeds. Anyone have yellow?

• gldno1
    11 years ago

Sorry to be so slow to get back to this.

Here is what I have. I have collected some seeds but can't guarantee how they will turn out. I am sure they cross pollinate. Helen, I will need your address; I have looked high and low for it but can't find it. I have changed computers fairly recently and didn't transfer my address book.

and this one has a faint apricot edging that I like very much but isn't really a broken,

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't have anything like the yellow and half yellow ones. I'd like to have seeds of those. I'll send you my address when I get home. I'm at Peggywho's house in CA.

• gldno1
    11 years ago

You do realize my seeds are mixed.... they are so tangled together it was hard to pick out which was which. They probably carry the genes of both colors anyway. Surely some will be the broken colors...I hope.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am using my sister's computer and her fancy mouse. I sounded demanding. I would like to try some of your seeds if there is a chance of getting something different. Since four o clocks are very attractive to those big moths and hummers, I'll bet they are all mixed up.

• crm2431
    11 years ago

I would really like some fuchia four o clocks seed if possible I wouls gladly pay postage?

Charlie

• crm2431
    11 years ago

My email is: crm2431@hotmail.com

Charlie

• crm2431
    11 years ago

I made a mistake its the yellow or Apricot that need? Sorry.
    crm2431@hotmail.com

Charlie

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio