Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Denver botanic garden - June

helenh
15 years ago

Some ideas for your gardens: Click to enlarge.

Comments (8)

• gbbrown
    15 years ago

I was also at the Denver Botanic Garden in June! It differs from that Mo Botanic Garden in both design and plant selection and is worth visiting. I especially loved the shrub roses that were in full bloom. Your rose picture captures the essence.

Many interesting things are being done with hardy cactus in the southwest. We had attended a cactus conference in Grand Junction. Unfortunately the penstamon and another plants I would have to look up did not like our wet summer and promptly died, not surprisingly.

GBB

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Beautiful! Love the ice plant. I have a little patch of that but mine's not so covered with blooms.
    In the fifth picture, are the white flowers roses? Look how many flowers! Do you happen to know what kind it was?

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That white rose is Darlow's Enigma. I even bought it thought it looked like a multiflora, didn't take care of it and let it die. Then I see what it looks like in Denver. Mine actually hung on a long time for the care it got. Remember our two years of drought? Glenda, your plants that rot might do well if treated like these ice plants. They had them on a berm of porous looking soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Darlow's Enigma

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Helen, the pictures are wonderful. I would love to have a garden that looks like the second picture. I hope I can visit a botanical garden next year. Do you know if there is one in Arkansas?

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There used to be a great garden in Many or Meny LA. I went 20 years ago; may not be there now. It is an old rock quarry that a rich person made into a garden. Early spring they had azaleas. Don't know any in Arkansas. Eureka Springs used to have a garden by that big spring; now it is an Indian place no garden.

• bunny6
    15 years ago

Thanks Helen. My In-laws went to one off the coast of Italy. They had to take a ferry there, because it was on an island. The pictures were beautiful.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a map of the one I went to in LA; not close to you but maybe you go south sometimes.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden of interest

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I believe there is a Botanical Garden in Hot Springs, operated by UARK. Was formerly a private garden, but was designed by the UARK School of Architecture. I think it is near or on the shores of Lake Hamilton.

I also try to grow Ice Plants, but drainage is a problem for me. I still have a few of the rose colored ones left, but my last experiment with the pink cultivar, 'Kelaidis'(Mesa Verde® Ice Plant) from the Denver Botanical Garden was a failure, even though it was planted in scree in my rock garden.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Mesa Verde® Ice Plant

Sponsored