Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmgray55

Can anyone identify this tree?

dmgray55
10 years ago

We recently built a new home on the outskirts of Joplin. There are several of these trees with these black "growths" on the branches that are oozing sap. Can anyone identify the trees and the growth on the limbs? Are they sick or is this normal? Only these trees seem to have the growth.

Thank you

Comments (5)

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

The leaves look sort of like a hickory. Do the small branches have a lot of curves and angles? It could be that. With sap oozing, there probably is disease involved.

My hickories keep the squirrels alive, along with the acorns, and give good shade. Lot of small branch drop, though.
    Sunny

• helenh
    10 years ago

I think it is a wild black cherry but I can't see the bark. Cherry has little horizontal lines on the younger limbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: black growth

This post was edited by helenh on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 12:25

• helenh
    10 years ago

Here is a remedy if that is what you have:

Here is a link that might be useful: what to do about the black growth

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

I think you're right about it being black cherry, Helen.
    Sunny

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Most certainly black cherry. The black knots are so widespread among black cherry in this region that you might as well resign yourself to never totally getting rid of it. We usually just cut them down if it is too bad or at least cut out the bad parts. They are kind of a nuisance tree anyway, spreading everywhere from seed. Almost invasive.

Sandy

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio